RenderStorm Farm

Sign in to follow this  
radion

Select inverted polygons script

radion    1

Hello.

I am looking for a script that will allow you to select only inverted polygons in the object.

Often the function "Align normals' does not work as it should and i mus select all inverted polys by hand and use 'Reverse normals' tool.

Maybe some of you have such a script?

thanks!

bezo    476

Sometimes don´t work aligning normals as expected, it´s strange but it is real...

There is a plugin "Select by normal direction" (which is part of Cezar Vonc´s selection plugin pack named "Selection Suppletives")

Simply select some polygon, adjust tolerance and other options if needed and apply.

https://code.vonc.fr/?a=23

Little helper sometimes could be using effect "normal direction" in material. Create material, enable only color and from Effects select Normal Direction. Then only set colors (for instance red for wrong normals, blue for correct and apply on object. Since bad oriented polygons will be red colored, it´s simplier to select them)

radion    1
  • Topic Author
  • Hey, thanks for the reply. Plugin "Select by normal direction" dont work :/

Maybe it is possible to write python script who would do it?

I'm not a scripter so maybe someone here would do it? It will be great time saver!

bezo    476

can you post screenshot?

bezo    476

In case of "incorrect/wrong" mesh (bad polygons, complex poles etc.) have c4d problem with aligning normals. Use mesh checker for problems in mesh, then use optimize command and then try to align normals.

Can you post file with this object?

• Like 1

radion    1
  • Topic Author
  • I use mesh checker fix some problems and 'align normals' works fine. Apparently to use "Align Normals' tool mesh must be 100% error free.

Thank You for help!

bentraje    94

Thanks for recommending doing the mesh checker first. It worked for me! Thanks again! 

Cerbera    1,733
    1 hour ago, bentraje said:

Thanks for recommending doing the mesh checker first. It worked for me! Thanks again! 

When you say ' that worked for me' you mean the Optimize, right ? Although very helpful for highlighting duff geometry, the mesh checker doesn't actually change anything by itself !

CBR