Hi

I've been learning about Vray and I have been playing around with it. I came across a beautiful piece here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/6374...Monsters-Vol-I

Any tips on how to achieve the materials? I know you would have to have a dome light to get a reflection, but I really like the matte feel to it. Actually, all of it!

Edited by Cerbera
Capitals in titles please !

If 3rd party renderers are involved, New users and beginners is not the place for this post ! Moved to the correct section.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

If 3rd party renderers are involved, New users and beginners is not the place for this post ! Moved to the correct section.

CBR

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, StCanas said:

Link not working for me.

Ah, apologies. 

https://www.behance.net/gallery/63745811/The-Freaky-Monsters-Vol-I

No special materials are needed for this.

You need hdr studio image for lighting the model. Notice the umbrella and softboxes in reflections.

Render as .exr and use camera raw filter in PS to achieve vibrant and contrasty look.

You shouldn't need vray for this.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, MJohnny said:

No special materials are needed for this.

You need hdr studio image for lighting the model. Notice the umbrella and softboxes in reflections.

Render as .exr and use camera raw filter in PS to achieve vibrant and contrasty look.

You shouldn't need vray for this.

Thanks for the advice. 

They've actually done it in vray and i would like to do that in vray as well. I like the look of it especially the matte look and the reflections. 

It's when (vray GI, etc is on) I put a couple of Omni vray light on, the shadows are hard. With area vray light, it doesn't give a specular look and no reflections but it has a nice soft shadow. 

If you can post the correct link then that would make things easier. Remember that Vray is scale dependant for both the light size, and object.  The HDRi wont work correctly if its not put inside a Adv Bitmap shader, Vray physical camera needs to be used to get the balance between ISO, Fstop.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, IeatPizza said:

9 minutes ago, Rectro said:

If you can post the correct link then that would make things easier. Remember that Vray is scale dependant for both the light size, and object.  The HDRi wont work correctly if its not put inside a Adv Bitmap shader, Vray physical camera needs to be used to get the balance between ISO, Fstop.

Dan

Hi Dan, I've posted the correct link.

The mat feel is really down to soft lighting which is got from the HDR image or a light studio kit.  The materials are rather glossy, and the degree in which controls this is the Glossiness channel.  The lower the glossy value the more mat it will appear. The higher the Fresnel IOR value the more towards the front the reflection will appear.  For a more accurate reflection use GGX.  Using SSS will give a softer look to the material, and if used with a higher gloss it will appear more plastic.

This render quality can be achieved with C4D quite easy, but the advantage Vray will have is the sheer speed in which it can render it out.

I mocked this up in Vray.  It has the basic settings as I said.  It also has Vray Bloom slightly yo add softness.  The file is bellow.  Your need Vray 3.6 to load it.

Dan

vrayballs bloom.effectsResult.png

balls.zip

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Rectro said:

The mat feel is really down to soft lighting which is got from the HDR image or a light studio kit.  The materials are rather glossy, and the degree in which controls this is the Glossiness channel.  The lower the glossy value the more mat it will appear. The higher the Fresnel IOR value the more towards the front the reflection will appear.  For a more accurate reflection use GGX.  Using SSS will give a softer look to the material, and if used with a higher gloss it will appear more plastic.

This render quality can be achieved with C4D quite easy, but the advantage Vray will have is the sheer speed in which it can render it out.

I mocked this up in Vray.  It has the basic settings as I said.  It also has Vray Bloom slightly yo add softness.  The file is bellow.  Your need Vray 3.6 to load it.

Dan

vrayballs bloom.effectsResult.png

balls.zip

Ah, thanks Dan! I'll have play with this in the week (away at the moment) and I will post for feedback. I do indeed have Vray 3.6. I'll try your advice along with it.

• Topic Author
  • Hi Dan, I've been playing around with your file, got me understanding it more! 

One question, I'm doing a "emboss" text to a paper in Vray. I've done this via Bump in vray material using photoshop. It's worked but my only problem is getting it to look like this which I googled. I'm trying to achieve similar to this: 

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-17 at 13.14.04.jpeg

10 hours ago, IeatPizza said:

It's worked but my only problem is getting it to look like this which I googled. I'm trying to achieve similar to this: 

Iv got nothing to go by as I dont know what result your getting to compare?  Its the case if having the right font and the black, white vales the correct way around which inverting the  map will sort.

Dan

text emboss-vray.png

• Like 1