pineapple

Pole Vector Twisting Ik Rigged Model

I'm very inexperienced, but I have been trying to make a more complex rig than I have done before. I'm trying to create a simple octopus model, with IK rigged arms that are able to bend in both direction. When I bend an arm one way, it works perfectly. However, as soon as it crosses over the pole vector to bend the other way, it creates an weird twist in the arm. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance, and I have attached the file and pictures of bending the arm both ways.

Octopus.c4d

octopus_good_bend.png

octopus_bad_bend.png

Hi, if you want to bend the joints in both directions you need to either use xpresso via user data, or turn on the dynamics on the ik tag ,and the arms will move when the body moves.

Here are animated examples of the two methods : 

bend test_1+2.c4d

When there is so many joints needed a spline IK is the way Id go, but a IK with pol in right place can work, it just needs a little more attention to its placement.  Ik if used with dynamics it does have a kind of collision force field that should keep them from touching.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. I think I will implement dynamics as it look like the easiest way to some realistic movement.

• Topic Author
  • Ok so I ended up using dynamic ik, but now my project refuses to render to the picture viewer. Rendering the current view works fine, and rendering to the picture viewer with dynamics unchecked works fine, but as soon as I enable dynamics, the picture viewer window does nothing and just shows a black image. Any ideas why this is happening?

7 minutes ago, pineapple said:

as soon as I enable dynamics, the picture viewer window does nothing and just shows a black image. Any ideas why this is happening?

What frame are you trying to render ? And is the result any different if you start at frame 0 ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

What frame are you trying to render ? And is the result any different if you start at frame 0 ?

I have tried this with a whole bunch of frames including frame 0 and also a range of frames. I have also tried changing the format, but nothing has worked. The dynamics are clearly the problem because when it works fine when I just disable them.