RenderStorm Farm

PRondo    1

Hi folks,

I have been using the pose morph tag to animate a character, with no problems up until now.

Suddenly I cannot add any new poses without it resetting to the default or previous pose. I have tried resetting the bind pose on both the weight tag and the character object controller with no luck.

Also I notice that when selecting the fingers on the left hand - the hand icon changes from blue to red - could this mean there is something broken in the rig?

Holding shift when creating a new pose works - but only for adjusting one part of the model at  a time. - Really frustrating!

Clutching at straws here, but wondering if anyone else may have had a similar problem?

I have tried opening old projects and the problem seems to be now there too - wondering if there is some sort of caching problem?

Also I have tried googling, and this is pretty much last resort!

Many thanks

Rectro    635

First thing is update your profile and make sure your on latest version of C4D.  Are you rigging it yourself or using the character object?  When making  a pose morph are you making sure that (In place) is not the chosen option as this allows the last morph to apply  with the in place morph.  Also are you making pose morphs from controllers or directly on joints, do you have hierarchy option on or off for pose morphs?  If you post the scene many of these questions and more can be answered within a few moments of seeing the scene.

Dan

PRondo    1
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Dan,

Many thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately I'm not allowed to post the scene as its a commercial job.

Sorry it's my first time doing character animation of this sort (usually just motiongraphics), but think I have double checked all of the things I can.

It is rigged with the character object (standard biped)

As I say I noticed the L Arm fingers all went red when selecting - not sure why that was and maybe an indicator of the issue?

I have attached a couple of screengrabs of the attributes - I'm not sure if anything will stand out as obvious but any help is appreciated!

Thanks again

Paul

note: up to this point this method has been fine its like something has broken, or there is some issue with a c4d cache of some sort (at least it seems this way to me)

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 12.26.13.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 12.25.45.png

Rectro    635

Unfortunately im not in front on c4d, and I could be guessing from multiple things can cause this.  Did you use morph based fingers when making biped rig, are you animating the user data sliders for the fingers or trying to to make morphs off fk controls, are you animating the IK or FK are you blending between them both?

Dan

PRondo    1
  • Topic Author
  • The fingers are animated independently via the user data controls available within the character object.

The character is animated by setting a new pose within the pose tag and adjusting the controllers as required for that pose, in this case IK arms and also some rotation on the hips and head.

On the timeline I'm essentially mixing between poses to animate the character and dealing with the fingers separately as above.

The puzzling thing is it has been working fine this way for a while then all of a sudden things went weird - really frustrating! What's even weirder that it is also now happening in older scene files - making me paranoid that it's me that is doing something wrong and have forgotten something - but I have double checked everything!

C4d also crashes occasionally and a check bug report message pops up - I can't see anything obvious there either.

I can appreciate it's difficult without seeing any files, thanks for the input anyhow!

Paul

PRondo    1
  • Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, looking at your screenshot of the morph tag it's on edit mode, it should be on animate mode, could that be the reason?

Hi,

Thanks for looking - my problem is when creating new poses in the edit mode it snaps back either to the base pose or the previous pose. - I basically can't create any new poses. 

Also it crashes C4D sometimes when trying to create a new pose.

Working fine previously, and now stuck desperately trying to figure this out!

Paul

digitvisions    120

The fact that you can't share the file is a problem, because  it's the only way we can try and find out the reason. Unless someone else here came across the same problem before. 

digitvisions    120

You could try duplicating the file , deleting the morph tag. creating a new one and see if the problem persist.

PRondo    1
  • Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

The fact that you can't share the file is a problem, because  it's the only way we can try and find out the reason. Unless someone else here came across the same problem before. 

Totally understand, thanks for your help - sorry I'm not allowed to share the file (I have asked!).

There doesn't seem to be much info or content out there on the subject - I'm pretty much on the verge of rebuilding the rig from scratch and hoping it doesn't happen again to be honest, I have already been  at a standstill on this for a couple of days. :sad:

digitvisions    120

Just noticed you have a lock on all the poses including the base pose.

digitvisions    120

Try unlocking the base pose that should do it.

Sorry, Just noticed they are indeed unlocked.

PRondo    1
  • Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

Just noticed you have a lock on all the poses including the base pose.

Good spot - you had me thinking there for a second, but they are actually the unlocked padlock icons!

I have just tried installing a demo version onto another machine in the studio and the scene file seems fine - so has me thinking it maybe a software bug/glitch thing? I will probably try and do a re-install and not do any updates to see if that works!

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1