RichB

Bad chequerboard effect on my render

RichB    0

Hi, I need some help trying to work out why I’m getting a sort of chequerboard effect on my metallic material when rendered. I have posted the render so you can see what I’m talking about. It only seems to be happening on the bevelled area below the black plastic cap and it looks like it’s following the polygons of the bevel.

The metal material has 2 reflectance layers. Layer 1 is an Anisotropic type and layer 2 is a Beckmann type. I’m using the Beckmann layer to create the grunge effect by using a Layer Mask and using one of my own texture images. If I turn off Layer 2 and do a render region of the problem area the chequerboard disappears. So it must be something to do with my Beckmann grunge layer.

I want to make the grunge layer work as it’s giving the effect I want, so does anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of the chequerboard?

Thanks
RichB

PVC_tin_sml.jpg

Cerbera    1,965

Is this a properly UV mapped object ? If not, what projection mode is that material using ?

CBR

RichB    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Cerbera, no it's not properly UV mapped. The projection of the material is UVW Mapping.

Rich

Cerbera    1,965

OK. That'll be the problem then. It looks like the mapping is fine for the bits that were part of the default object, but the new polys you added while modelling may have broken mapping. So, first thing to try is setting that projection to Cylindrical, and to use texture and axis modes to line that up correctly over the model.

You can also try the other modes to see if any look right. If no mode works, then you will probably have to UV unwrap this.

CBR

RichB    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera, I'll that a try.