sondrake    0

So I my question is one kind of between 3D modeling and animation. I have a robot character I am trying to model and animate. My 2D design gives her a fully articulated face and stiff but somewhat articulated limbs. I am looking for something like Optimus Prime's face from the transformers movies, or like this animation of a robot from youtube for both. However, I'm having some problems figuring out how to do the lips, and to some extent the body and tutorials are harder to find on this topic than I thought.

My concentration is on the lips, there seems to be a fair amount of tutorials on robots that would assist in the body with shifting metal robot parts (though, if anyone has good tips or a link to a good tutorial, I would definitely love to see it).

Thanks in advance!

esmall    32

I think some clever modeling, either with some extrudes to give the appearance of plates that make up the lips, or separate/discrete geometry.  Either way, I think the pose morph would be your friend here.  See the attached files.  One would be a setup using a continuous mesh, the other would be using separate geometry.  Both setups are using the posemorph tag.

robotMouth.c4d

robotMouth 2.c4d

• Like 1

everfresh    314

your example just looks like a regular face rig setup, either with pose morphs or joint based. or both. but the way i understand it you rather want individual parts that make up the lips which are moving independently without affecting the neighbor? if so there's a lot of different ways to do that, also using joints would be an option, or psr morphs opposed to point morphs which you would use on a regular, flexible mouth. you could also do it just with the geometry parts patented to nulls. 

if if you want it to be believable/realistic you should also think of the mechanics behind it, how it would work in real live and model it accordingly. just make sure you have serparate meshes for the elements that should move individually.

face rigging tutorials for c4d are hard to find, but i recommend watching some maya tutorials on the topic, most principles can easily be translated to c4d.

• Like 1