Rendercore Lab

akrajcik

Best Wireless mouse for C4D (19)

akrajcik    0

Hey all, 

I'm just starting to use this program at work and the mouse I have is both too big for my hand and corded which drives me nuts.  I'm switching from an apple iMouse which has the touch, but not the buttons needed for C4D to work efficiently.  I'm working on a new Macbook, and in V19 if that makes any different to which mouse.  

What are the best mouse options?  Wireless is mandatory, and I'd prefer a touch mouse that has the 3 button set up as well, if possible.  Smaller profile is a plus, too. 
I'd also take suggestions for non-mouse options, but I've only just gotten trained on the software so I'm not super familiar on all the things I need it to be able to do yet. 

Thanks!

Cerbera    1,733

I think pretty much any 3-5 button mouse you like the feel of will do, unless sculpting is really your thing in which case a pen might be more suitable. 

But for me it's more important what is under your left hand. In my case that's a 3DConnexion Space Explorer, which means you never have to click a navigation control in the interface again, and can zoom and move about in your scene with much more speed and precision. Rock solid reliability as well - mine is working as well now 5 years after I bought it.

CBR

• Like 1

poodles    25

I'll be honest, I prefer a track pad......just thought I'd throw that in for you to think about. :) 

• Like 1

Fastbee    72

I'd ideally like a mouse with pressure sensitive buttons so I could sculpt with the mouse, but since this does not exist a tablet helps a lot if sculpting or painting.  I use 3dcoat for these things though, so regular mouse works well for c4d.  If going for a tablet for c4d the xp pen does not currently work with it though I have contacted them and they said they would get their engineers working on it.  For every other program the xp pen deco 03 is amazing, wireless, and affordable.

15 hours ago, Cerbera said:

But for me it's more important what is under your left hand. In my case that's a 3DConnexion Space Explorer, which means you never have to click a navigation control in the interface again, and can zoom and move about in your scene with much more speed and precision.

I tried that in C4D, but I don't like the way it picks the rotation axis.  It does not keep a rotation axis of what is under your mouse it uses the center of the axis of the object selected.  It also has no fly mode that works when working with objects.  This makes me prefer the mouse and keyboard better.  Maybe I'm using it wrong.  Please let me know if I am wrong.  The 3Dconnexion tech is could be super cool if it worked right in c4d. 

Without the 3dconnexion working right using keyboard shortcuts for the different views combined with a 4k monitor works better for me.  Another benefit of using the keyboard is all keyboard shortcuts can be used without moving the hand back and forth from a 3dconnexion.  In 4k I've made a C4D interface that has all the tools all the time without having to switch between different Layouts.  Having all the tools visible also helps me to learn about tools that I never knew existed before.  For instance there are a ton of tools above the texture window in the uv layout with no words.  I put that as a tab with words and now I can read all of these uv tools I never knew existed.

• Like 1

Cerbera    1,733
6 hours ago, Fastbee said:

It does not keep a rotation axis of what is under your mouse it uses the center of the axis of the object selected. 

Oh right. That is true until you are in one of the component modes, and then your center of rotation should be whatever points / edges or polys you have selected. That is how I want mine to work, and it does, so I am well happy with it ! But then again I never need a fly mode, so have never investigated if that is a possibility.

CBR

• Like 2