Cinema 4D Plugins

bass

Render times for a MacBook Pro 2.7 G.Hz

bass    0

Hi there - 

I am considering purchasing either Studio or Visualise.  I am a new freelancer who will need to produce visuals for companies, such as interior shots shops, bars etc.  Please see the attached image to see the spec of my laptop - I am hoping someone will be able to guide me on what kind of render times I should be expecting.  Is this even possible with this laptop? I am used to using larger higher spec computers so I'm not sure if my laptop is even doable.  

Any advise is welcomed, thanks :D 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 22.26.00.png

Cerbera    1,968
5 hours ago, bass said:

I am hoping someone will be able to guide me on what kind of render times I should be expecting.

That's kinda hard to say - depends entirely on the content of any particular scene...

But RAM is pretty low, processor pretty slow and graphics card not much to speak of :/

Best best is probably to install Cinebench and see what sort of scores you are getting...

CBR

bass    0
  • Topic Author
  • thanks Cerbera, I will check it out. 

bass    0
  • Topic Author
  • I have just run a test & these are the results - not sure what they mean yet .... any ideas anyone?

CPU test (main processor) .png

open GL (graphics card) test by Cinebench.png

Cerbera    1,968

They mean your render times are going to be very long, I'm afraid. That is not a good Cinebench score !

CBR

poodles    25
    17 hours ago, bass said:

Hi there - 

I am considering purchasing either Studio or Visualise.  I am a new freelancer who will need to produce visuals for companies, such as interior shots shops, bars etc.  Please see the attached image to see the spec of my laptop - I am hoping someone will be able to guide me on what kind of render times I should be expecting.  Is this even possible with this laptop? I am used to using larger higher spec computers so I'm not sure if my laptop is even doable.  

Any advise is welcomed, thanks :D 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 22.26.00.png

Hi

I use a macbook pro with the attached specs...Render times are long. but I have a windows workstation for heavy stuff. I love my macbook and wouldn't be without it. I much prefer the stability of IOS compared to the glitchyness of windows. but its a very personal preference. To get a 'decent' render time on a macbook i think is impossible and would require a hugely expensive desktop mac pro. 

If you have the machine already I would recommend trying it out and then see how you cope with the render times. Animations are a real pain in the butt to render on the macbook. Obviously depending on what you end up doing, the mac may suit it may not. 

If you don't have the machine as yet, I would seriously consider a windows machine (I know its heresy to say it lol). or maybe both if you can :lol:

I hope that helps a bit! 

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 16.26.35.png

• Like 1

bass    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Poodles!

Yes I have discovered a macbook just wont cut it - a real shame.  I need a laptop as I will be freelancing in various offices around London, after looking at the recommended 64GB ram I realise that in fact ALL laptops are not recommended !  MAXON have told me that using net render (I thought I could purchase a high spec pc desktop computer) over wireless is not recommended.  So I am now stuck for ideas, I might start a new thread.

Ideas welcomed! 

DasFrodo    1

Well you can always work with lower resolution / quality scenes and THEN render the final pictures on a renderfarm for example. This way you're not bound to anything except the internet speed.

I use Rebusfarm all the time. It works great, it has an easy to use C4D Plugin and it's affordable. https://gb.rebusfarm.net/en/

• Like 1

everfresh    314

there's also the possibility to buy an egpu enclosure and stuff an nvidia gtx1080ti in it and use redshift or octane for rendering. this will decrease your rendertimes by a factor of around 10 to 50, depending on the scene. of course that's another 1,7 K in total to spend (around 800-900 for the gpu and around 300$ for the enclosure, plus the cost for the render engine, which will be another 500$)

i'm running such a setup, and i'd say it's the best investment i ever made.

if you're planning on doing mostly interior shots i'd recommend redshift as render engine, won't get faster than that for interiors. and physical is especially slow with interiors with a lot of light bouncing around, and also with volumetrics, so it will be painful for you in any case if you stick to the naturally given power of your macbook and native renderers. 

another possibility would be to just send everything to a render farm, if you do this work for clients you can charge them the costs, and render farms have gotten so cheap lately that those extra 20 or 50 or 100 bucks you will charge the client really don't add that much to the overall cost for your client.

bass    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks everfresh - that sounds like an expert set up you have there.  I have never done this type of custom setting up - am I right in guessing its not the easiest thing to move around?  I need a mobile solution.  Thanks