bass

Anyone render successfully on a laptop?

Hey there,

I am researching laptops for the best rendering times & am looking for recommendations - anyone have a great set up? 

After doing some research & finding that the recommended ram is 64GB I realise that most laptops are considered sub par for most rendering jobs.  My problem is I am a freelancer so I am expected to go into offices so a desktop pc is out of the question.  I have been informed by MAXON that using net render over a wireless connection is not recommended so I am fresh out of ideas.

What is everybody's experiences and are there any success stories with laptops?

Thank you.

hey Bass,

If you're using a built in render engine w C4D (Pro Render aside), you're talking about CPU power.  The more cores and the greatest frequency will be your best bet, but you'll need to find a balance. 

If this is going to be your daily driver, bear in mind that the majority of tools in C4D are single core (exceptions existing, of course, such as the hair module which are threaded).  For single core operations, you'll want to get the highest core frequency you can get, regardless of core count.  However, when it comes to render times, core count will trump frequency.

Unless you're planning on using Pro Render or a 3rd party renderer, the GPU doesn't make much difference (obviously other applications will differ; After Effects for example).

I wouldn't go out of your way to get 64gb of ram.  Ram will not improve render times or viewport performance.  Both Physical and Standard renderers in C4D use the CPU, not even GPU.  So make sure the CPU is where you're spending your money.  If 64gb doesn't break the bank, go for it.  Otherwise 32gb will be perfectly fine. (Personally, I have 16gb and I work just fine.)

Looking at what's online, I see some PC laptops that are using the i7-8750 which would be a solid bet: 2.2ghz boost to 4.1 with 6 cores that thread out to 12.  Personally I have a laptop w the i7-7700HQ (2.8 boost to 3.8 w 4 cores threading out to 8) that I bought about a year ago, and it works great. 

You are correct that a desktop is a better bet for rendering.  However, with the availability of online render farms now a days, you can easily get away with a laptop as your daily driver.  And you always have the option to hardwire some computers together to make a mini render farm.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2018 at 1:44 AM, esmall said:

hey Bass,

If you're using a built in render engine w C4D (Pro Render aside), you're talking about CPU power.  The more cores and the greatest frequency will be your best bet, but you'll need to find a balance. 

If this is going to be your daily driver, bear in mind that the majority of tools in C4D are single core (exceptions existing, of course, such as the hair module which are threaded).  For single core operations, you'll want to get the highest core frequency you can get, regardless of core count.  However, when it comes to render times, core count will trump frequency.

Unless you're planning on using Pro Render or a 3rd party renderer, the GPU doesn't make much difference (obviously other applications will differ; After Effects for example).

I wouldn't go out of your way to get 64gb of ram.  Ram will not improve render times or viewport performance.  Both Physical and Standard renderers in C4D use the CPU, not even GPU.  So make sure the CPU is where you're spending your money.  If 64gb doesn't break the bank, go for it.  Otherwise 32gb will be perfectly fine. (Personally, I have 16gb and I work just fine.)

Looking at what's online, I see some PC laptops that are using the i7-8750 which would be a solid bet: 2.2ghz boost to 4.1 with 6 cores that thread out to 12.  Personally I have a laptop w the i7-7700HQ (2.8 boost to 3.8 w 4 cores threading out to 8) that I bought about a year ago, and it works great. 

You are correct that a desktop is a better bet for rendering.  However, with the availability of online render farms now a days, you can easily get away with a laptop as your daily driver.  And you always have the option to hardwire some computers together to make a mini render farm.

@esmall 

I'm a huge lover for mobility and stuff and I've been a laptop user for 6 years and I just couldn't get a thing about Desktops at this point (maybe in the future I will) and I'm really glad I bumped into this post and dude you really hit what I was really looking. You literally explained and give an example. I've been saving up and looking for a new laptops that can handle work much faster both workflow and render times. 

If you don't mind me asking a few things what do you think about the new Dell XPS 15 2018 in performance and the 1050Ti in GPU rendering. And I really need a simpler explanation on really whats the difference having core i5 and i7. Does it mean the higher the number the better?  

@bass thanks for this thread. I was going to make a new thread about laptop for c4d good thing I found this.

• Like 1

So it looks like the XPS will offer cpu's as i5 8300, i7 8750, and i9 (not sure of model).  Direct answer to your question: yes, the higher the number the better the performance, with caveats.

The different levels of the Intel chips can be thought of this way:

i3 - entry level - web browsing, maybe some word processing

i5 -  moderate user - word processing, spreadsheets, photo editing

i7 - professional user - 3d animation, video editing

i9 - ludacris mode (Spaceballs reference!) - for the 3d artist in a hurry

Based on the numbers, the new i5's are competing on the same level as the i7's were a couple years ago.  Someone with an actual ComSci background could probably give you more details as to WHAT is different and WHY the i7's (and subsequently, i9's) are better, but that is beyond my knowledge.

Here's the specs of the known CPU options:

i5 8300 - 4 cores, thread out to 8, at 2.3 ghz, boost to 4.0 ghz

i7 8750 - 6 cores, thread out to 12, at 2.2 ghz boost to 4.1 ghz

Boost speeds are essentially the CPU being overclocked on the fly.

Caveats explained:

So the i5 has SLIGHTLY higher frequency at base frequency, but this will only matter when performing single core operations (which is a fair amount of operations in C4D).  However, this is such a minute difference, I would opt for the i7, as it gains you a slightly higher boosted speed, plus you get an additional 2 cores, that thread out to an additional 4 to help w render power.

Regarding your GPU question: this only comes into play if you plan on using ProRender (which I'd advise against, it for now), or a 3rd party renderer such as Octane, Arnold, etc.  True, the viewport in OpenGL mode uses the graphics card, but it will not remotely tax a the 1050Ti GPU.  That being said, my laptop has a 1050Ti, and it works fine.  Nothing spectacular, but it gets me by.  I do not use it for 3d rendering, but I use its CUDA cores to make After Effects perform better.

All this jibberish aside: the new Dell looks great.  But, as with every hardware purchase, that's If you can justify its price.  By all means, go for the upgraded CPU, if you can afford it.  Do you work with C4D for a living?  Or is it a hobby?  Are you using the computer daily?  How long are you hoping to have the laptop as your workhorse?  When was the last time you bought a new piece of hardware?  Have you gotten your investment out of your previous purchase(s)?  The budget is a personal questions that can't be answered by a spec sheet.

Thanks for that blog post spec sheet.  It's good to have a written record.  Most of my knowledge has been gleaned by the MAXON reps and industry experts over the years while talking shop at various conventions!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

@esmall
Now this all makes sense. I can roll my eyes over some other brands that are in the same power and much cheaper as well. Dude, you had me troubled there with those questions and really I'm thinking quite differently now. Though I used it as a hobby but in anytime I want to gain much experience and work professionally. My budget is tight as well but I really wanted to get a good machine and oh I forgot to mention that I wanted to invest for a good screen and the XPS 15 screen is something. If you don't mind may I know the specs of your machine? For future referrals :)

Thank you so much for this it would really help me decide what and when to buy. Such a life-saver.

not a problem.  good luck!

My workstation at work is a 2013 trashcan mac pro, 8 core, 3.0 ghz, amd fire 500 x2 32gb, cinebench scores around 1200.  my studio is all mac presently, but I'm working on changing that.  we recently upgraded an animator to a new PC w a i7-8700 CPU, GTX1080Ti, 1TB m.2 SSD.  Its cinebench score was over 1400.

My laptop is a 2017 17" HP Omen: i7-7700hq, 16gb ram, 1050Ti, 512gb m.2 SSD/1TB HDD.  My fav part of the laptop, aside from  being able upgrade RAM, HDD, and SSD: REMOVEABLE BATTERY!!!! (15" is not removable)

Lastly, I have a desktop at home that I built to be a Hackintosh back in 2015.  After almost 3 glorious years, I gave up and put Windows 10 on it, and have not looked back.  Its older, i7-4930 (overclocked), 24gb ram, gtx960, 512gb ssd, but despite that, it still performs excellent.  It still puts up ~1050 on cinebench

• Awesome 1

@esmall
Thank you so much man! I'm trying out my current machine for cinebench score. This is the first time actually I and I should've tested it a little earlier. And I think I'll be spending more years for this machine, it has 600 cb and I personally think it can handle all the projects I'm working at the moment. Geez, I really caught by the higher the card the better and in fact it really is but I realized that it all comes to where you are now and what you do. 

Man thank you for all these insights. I have a clear understanding of cpu's now for the basic part and at layman's terms but it's all working out. I can increase my budget by the time I'm buying a new one. 

Thank you so much. Cheers!

I just ordered a new laptop my self an Asus rog with an i7 7700 hq, 16 GB ram, an 8 gb gtx 1070, pretty happy with the price considering the same spec Acer predator 17 is a good 400 pound plus more 

On 4/17/2018 at 6:22 PM, bass said:

Hey there,

I am researching laptops for the best rendering times & am looking for recommendations - anyone have a great set up? 

After doing some research & finding that the recommended ram is 64GB I realise that most laptops are considered sub par for most rendering jobs.  My problem is I am a freelancer so I am expected to go into offices so a desktop pc is out of the question.  I have been informed by MAXON that using net render over a wireless connection is not recommended so I am fresh out of ideas.

What is everybody's experiences and are there any success stories with laptops?

Thank you.

@bass

Hey there – did you purchase this laptop? Interested to know your thoughts on it if you did…