Sign in to follow this  
Beefdoctor

Dynamics Plain Effector Question

Hey guys, does anyone know if i can control the "Follow position" and "Follow Rotation" values in a rigid body tag using a "plain Effector" with a linear falloff?

Hey, @Beefdoctor!  I'm not sure it's possible, but I'd love to hear if someone knows how!  My guess is Xpresso.   Could you maybe explain what you're trying to achieve?  Maybe there's another way outside of using "Follow Position" etc.  XParticles comes to mind.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, natevplas said:

Hey, @Beefdoctor!  I'm not sure it's possible, but I'd love to hear if someone knows how!  My guess is Xpresso.   Could you maybe explain what you're trying to achieve?  Maybe there's another way outside of using "Follow Position" etc.  XParticles comes to mind.

Ok, here goes. I had a cloner with a bunch of cubes in it set up in a grid array, i then used the volume effector and motext to cut out some text, i then made the cloner editable.

I now have a null object full of cubes in the shape of my text, i have applied a "rigid body tag" to the null and "applied to all children"  i have also turned the scenes gravity off so i have a zero G environment.

Now i want to disrupt the cubes using an or object or an effector and then animate the "Follow Position" and "Follow Rotation" values to return the cubes to the original text shape, but i do not want the cubes to all travel back at the same time, i was hoping i could use the falloff of the "plain effector" to control when certain cubes react to the "follow position / rotation" value.

hope that makes sense

It does make sense, but I'm really not seeing yes as the answer at the moment. It doesn't matter what parameter you connect to those follow controls, via Xpresso or anything else,  they're all going to go at once as soon as it crosses a threshold because there is no falloff built into that control.

But I am wondering if there is a way round it using forces, which can have a falloff, so that the threshold at which FP / FR kicks in is different across the clone space. Does that make sense ?! :) Maybe a friction or something falling-off linear style ? I haven't tried it yet, but might do later if I get time...

EDIT: No, that doesn't work :) Back to the drawing board...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera thanks for looking at it, much appreciated. I thought i was going mad because it seems like something that should be pretty simple to do.