Sign in to follow this  
ghita

Animate a SOSS Concealed Hinge System

HI, 

I'm trying to recreate a short animation where the doors of a wooden box open thanks to a SOSS concealed hinge system. 

I managed to model it but I am really struggling with animating it... 

I can't figure out how to have the rotation happening on the 4 pivots axis. instead of only one rotation hub..

I'm attaching both screenshots and a simplified scene.

5ad72da2db661_sosshinge2.thumb.PNG.e0b8c783082d3b160eb6efc969d6e4f8.PNG

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

soss hinge.PNG

SOSS HINGE SYSTEM.c4d

Edited by Cerbera
Capitals in titles please !

Ghita, please can you capitalize your titles when you post ! I am trying to make our front page look as good as it can. Thanks. I've done it for you this time.

Before we get to the animation, you may want to rethink that model. We can see from the screenshot that there are shading errors caused by duff topology and possibly incorrect phong settings too.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ghita, please can you capitalize your titles when you post ! I am trying to make our front page look as good as it can. Thanks. I've done it for you this time.

Apologies I didn't think that a  missed capital letter would bother, from now on  I'm going to  be careful and "capitalise each post so that the forum looks as beautiful as it can". 

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Before we get to the animation, you may want to rethink that model. We can see from the screenshot that there are shading errors caused by duff topology and possibly incorrect phong settings too.

Thank you for the heads up but atm what I am concerned about is understanding how to get about this animation, texturing and the look is secondary, as it looks this way because it was imported from Rhino... 

9 minutes ago, ghita said:

I'm going to  be careful

Thanks, appreciated :)

9 minutes ago, ghita said:

how to get about this animation

Presuming you don't want to get involved with dynamics and all that jazz, then you should be able to do this with hierarchy and well placed axes.

Each moving part of the hinge will have to be separate model so that you can get that hierarchy right (each part a child of the previous part in the chain), and organise axis placement at each of the pivot points.

CBR

To echo Cerbera's comment, I would approaching this as a mechanical rig.  Look up some tutorials on this topic (search for robotic rig, mechanical rig, etc.

Another suggestion: go to a hardware store and pickup an actual SOSS hinge in order to appreciate the intricacies of such a hinge.  Being able to put hands on such a piece of hardware will reveal a lot of the fine details.  Or at the very least, find a good video of a hinge in action, and watch it frame by frame, forwards and backwards.

E

HI, this could help you assessing the way the hinge works, the plates are hinged connected in three places but also slide in and out the casing.  

large.JPG

• Topic Author
  • Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!