Sign in to follow this  
mdouglas

Alt. to boolean for isometric masking?

Hi there, I'm trying to figure out a way to have my geometry only appear in a limited area. I have a isometric scene set up that looks like Minecraft or an 8-bit arcade game. Everything takes place on a 10 x 10 x 1 grid of cubes, and the whole thing will be scrolling along from top right to bottom left. New objects will appear at the top and disappear at the bottom as we scroll by.  I've put together a rough version of what I'm after - see attached.

The only way I can figure out to make this work is to put all of my assets into Booleans and intersect them with a large cube. Unfortunately this is giving me problems on one of the faces, as the geo isn't a consistent "wall". If I uncheck High Quality that stops the random glitchy-ness, but it's still not perfect. No other settings in the Boolean seem to help. Any ideas about a better way to achieve this? Thanks a lot!!

Isometric_test-v001.mp4

Yep, booleans will do that... and there isn't much you can do about it when they do, so we have to find another way...

...which will be very difficult without knowing precisely how you have made that. Please upload the scene file, or explain in detail how that setup works.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, booleans will do that... and there isn't much you can do about it when they do, so we have to find another way...

...which will be very difficult without knowing precisely how you have made that. Please upload the scene file, or explain in detail how that setup works.

CBR

Great - thanks for the response. I've attached my file. It's basically just a series of cloners with cubes inside booleans. This may not be how I make it in the end, as I'll need more control over where the cubes are - I just did this as a rough test. I may end up starting with cloners then making them editable. Right now each level is separate (the "floor" is in its own cloner/boolean, the cubes on each  side are also separate). I'm open to making it in any way that works, though. The goal is to have each side look like a different genre of game with different terrain, and it will flip over 2-3 times. Thanks!

Isometric gamecube test-v001.c4d

Gotta run out now, but will have a look when I get back if someone else doesn't beat me to it !!

I'll think about whether we can use an effector killing visibility to solve our problems... hmmm.

CBR

The most immediate fix that pops into my head is to create a separate wall object to hide where it glitches. Keep it out of the boole and place it very close to, but not touching, where the boole is.

• Topic Author
  • OK, thanks @Vizn and @Cerbera

The wall idea sounds interesting. I had wondered about that. It would need to change shape depending on what was intersecting it, though, but it could work - unless there would be a way to have it modify itself automatically? But then we're likely back to Booleans again.

It might not be ideal if I stick to those beveled cubes (unless I don't worry about the fiddly details too much). Cheers!

8 minutes ago, mdouglas said:

OK, thanks @Vizn and @Cerbera

The wall idea sounds interesting. I had wondered about that. It would need to change shape depending on what was intersecting it, though, but it could work - unless there would be a way to have it modify itself automatically? But then we're likely back to Booleans again.

It might not be ideal if I stick to those beveled cubes (unless I don't worry about the fiddly details too much). Cheers!

Animated displacement map? Another possibility would be to make the 10x10 a single hollow volume, so all of the bevel detail is on the outside. Maybe it's already built that way, but if you have 10x10 separate cubes snapped face to face, that could be the source of the glitching.

• Topic Author
  • @Vizn good tips on the model - thanks. How would you see an animated displacement map working? Do you mean for the masking?

3 minutes ago, mdouglas said:

@Vizn good tips on the model - thanks. How would you see an animated displacement map working? Do you mean for the masking?

I meant for the 10x10, but I'm not exactly sure, which is why I posed it as a question. ;) 

Just noticed you provided the scene. The cubes are overlapping. I am 99.9% sure that is the cause of the glitching. Try making the floor cube in a manner that will tile in your clone array without overlapping. Making the cube size a nice whole/round number could help with that.

• Topic Author
  • @Vizn - thanks. I'll re-jig the cubes and see if that helps! Cheers.

• Topic Author
  • @Vizn @Cerbera So cleaning up my cubes fixed up the glitching - even with High Quality checked. It has no glitching at all. I initially removed the sides of the cubes entirely, but then they didn't fill in properly. So these all have straight sides that line up nicely. I have one row of 11 joined cubes in a cloner and it's working great.

Afterwards, I decided I didn't like the clean leading edge, so I made a cap to fit overtop of it which I may use. Thanks again for your help.

Here's a Dropbox link to a QT showing both versions - it doesn't want to let me attach a file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x09c0jjdpzpn0o3/Isometric_test-new.mp4?dl=0