Rendercore Lab

EdGalahad

Broadcast + 3rd part equals Studio?

EdGalahad    0

Hi there,

I'm a motion graphics designer, comming from Maya, starting my own lil' company ;-) and looking for a more affordable MoGraph solution.

I'm looking for some info concerning which version, Broadcast or Studio, is the most obvious for me to buy (during the flash-sale).

I understand there are many comparisions availible already, but for a non C4D user, some features are a bit unclear to me.

I guess I can overcome Broadcast it's 'shortcommings' since I will be using Zbrush for sculpting, Redshift for rendering, X-particles for cloth and what not and AE for tracking. These tools will also be used when I'm using Studio, so no money saving there ;-)

This leaves me with the following features missing from Broadcast that I can't solve with my other tools.

• Level of Detail Object
  • Driver tag
  • Character Animation (character animation isn't that important to me)
  • Different simulation options (especially soft body)

So, from exprience, how often do you use the above features in your average MoGraph work? Are they essential for your workflow?

The price difference between Studio and Broadcast is 1000 €/ 1215 usd

Not a biggie, but if I can save this amount I might as well buy Vray and some AE Plugs ;-)

Cheers

Ed

bobc4d    115

Broadcast has much fewer Mograph options than Studio and missing ones are probably the ones you need.

Cerbera    1,815

I'd have to agree with Bob. If you are doing motion graphics I'd say you absolutely need the full mograph set, including Voronoi Fracture.

Likewise the dynamics and softbody tags, which I find myself relying on quite a lot for all sorts of setups. 

I think it might also be a mistake to be assuming that XP cloth will be totally fine for every cloth-related need. For character cloth, you really do need something like Marvelous Designer, but for other cloth work you might find it useful to have some cloth functionality built in.

The other things you have mentioned I would say are less of an omission / problem in day-to-day work, and as long as you have RS and XP you do have your rendering and particle bases covered. 

Sculpting-wise, Zbrush is a good idea if you do it all the time, and know that software well. However sculpting in Cinema is rather quicker and more intuitive if you are not already a ZB expert !

CBR

EdGalahad    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thx both,

I'm not really into character cloth, it's more for the occasional 'wave-a-fabric-to-reveal-a-product'  mograph ;-)

I'm quite familiair with Zbrush.

I believe  voronoi fracture is part of Broadcast.

I'm using AE heavily so I'm also looking at solutions there (Trapcode instead of X-Part for example...which is a differetn discussion ;-) )

Thx for the input!

RBarrett    87

Voronoi Fracture is part of Broadcast, although the dynamic connectors aspect isn't included. I think the big things you may be missing from Studio would be the full dynamics suite, hair simulation and Sketch & Toon. 

In Broadcast, only MoGraph objects can be dynamic and only rigid body dynamics are available. There's also no support for the moving mesh collision type, which can make it hard to achieved dynamics with concave surfaces. The Hair toolset includes Spline Dynamics, in addition to hair styling, dynamics and rendering - and Hair rendering is often used to render splines and particle trails.

The demo offers the option to switch between the various editions - that might help you explore the limitations of broadcast and make the best choice. There are opportunities to upgrade from Broadcast to Studio, though with the flash sale next week you'll be getting the best price and value jumping straight into Studio.

EdGalahad    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you for the extra info RBarrett.

The flash sale is one of the reasons I'm looking at all the options.

If there wasn't one, I would go Broadcast and upgrade to Studio later.  30% Is a lot though ;-)

Are these flash sales more common? For example 2 months before a new release or so?

Marander    2

EdGalahad,

I did it that way, first buying R17 Broadcast with a lot of plugins with 3rd party renderers (Vray and Cycles), then got R18 / R19 Broadcast with MSA and later upgraded to R19 Studio (still with MSA).

One thing to consider is that the Studio MSA is about $300+ more per year than the Broadcast MSA!

Broadcast can do A LOT (most) of things, specially with plugins like X-Particles, People In Motion, Forester, GSG plugins etc.

The things I missed most in Broadcast is the Cloth Object to easily make surfaces thicker (but that can also be achieved using Explosion FX Object), the Character Morph Tags and the Hair Object in some occasions. If you're not interested in Character animation, don't use Dynamics alot and plan to get X-Particles, there is almost no limit with what you can do.

It was a great way for me to learn and use C4D Broadcast (I'm a hobbyist), investing in some plugins and render engines first and upgrade to Studio later. I appreciate the additional tools in Studio but most of the time I still use the Broadcast features.

Marander    2

As for the flash sales, they occured first with MAXON's 30th anniversary with R17 as far as I know and continued once a year for few days.

Shortly before the new release there is normally no flash sale but the option to get the current version and have the next release included (not sure again if the MSA is included for free). Personally I found getting the current version with 30% discount + MSA much better.