• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
3dkobi

Plugin to simulate ocean waves & foam ?

50 minutes ago, 3dkobi said:

First I have to say - I had the same problem with stefan when testing MP and velocity pass - he told me wrong things over and over and it cost me many  hours of testing.  http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/index.php?threads/20214/page-2#post-150084    Btw, I too haven't told vray yet - but I'm thinking about corona more and more...

Now, for the main event....

1. I uploaded some references for what I need - pretty calm sea, and not much foam (even less than what in the reference images - about 20% less), I also won't be needing wetmaps or spray...

2. I'm using fusion for comp, so RSMB won't be a problem.

3. I'm on a pc - so maybe .vdb is supported ? If so, how easier it will be to import the simulation back to c4d ?

4. This project will be rendered in 1920*1080, and I'll probably have about 600 frames to render in vray in total - but it can be the same simulation over and over again (from different angles it will look different) - So basically I need a simulation of about 150 frames max. I have 2 machines - 44 cores total via DR, and only 1 GPU nvidia 1070.

5. I really won't have time to learn to texture & render with redshift inside houdini, so I hope other options will be availble...

6. You wrote: "Now it gets more complicated. The flip tank and it's resulting mesh can be exported; first cached as particles, then mesh then finally assembled as alembic. However C4d (to my knowledge) doesn't support the kinds of displacement, at play in the ocean surface (the dark blue area). One option here would be to render ocean surface in mantra (houdini native renderer) and then comp the two afterwards. ". I don't think I fully understand what you mean...After I make the ocean surface, and the simulation of the particles of the foam in houdini, and export it - c4d can't read those files ? 

Oh, Hi - yes I remember seeing you posting on the vray forum. 

before I answer your questions, I just want to qualify that I am not a houdini expert, I have been using it for about 5 months on and off and most of my c4d-vray-houdini experiments have come about through trial and error with some help from @stefanlaub and Luke Letillier and some people on the houdini forum. So, there may be others who can inform you better. If so please let me know as I am learning too. 

secondly, by the sounds of it you are well suited to Houdini, I have not used Navie, and I'm sure it's great, but it is no longer supported, and Houdini is very much supported. Also assuming your 44 core machinea are hyperthreaded then you will see incredible results with the houdini simulations. Compared to realflow and cinema it is hugely CPU efficient. Also with an indie licence $200, you can install on 2 machines, which is super useful when simulating. 

Also you can download the free apprentice version of houdini and do all of the work except for exporting alembics or vdb. So for evaluation purposes you should jump right in. 

1. the references are fine. You will need to experiment with wave height and speed. Open ocean, or flat tank would probably work. In Houdini 16.5 we have 'narrow band' which means that only the top layer of the flip tank is calculated in the sim, which is a huge saving . 

spray is one of the conditions known as white water, it is worth experimenting with this area foam, turbulence, splashes etc, because the water body alone is only half of the illusion.  Once you have cached your main simulation, it is fairly quick and easy to add a white water solver and cache this out automatically. 

2. fine

3. vdb is supported on pc for vray for c4d, the documentation on it is limited. The choice as to whether to import alembic or vdb is up to you. I think the file size is similar (I could be wrong with this)

4. absolutely fine, I do this, film the same animation from different angles. if you do render in houdini indie, Mantra is limited to 4K output. 

5. I understand this, although with knowledge of vray its easy to jump over to mantra controls. Very similar. 

6. to my knowledge c4d cannot import houdini particles (am I wrong on this?) and even if it did you would immediately lose the efficiency of houdini to read the particles. This is where the current c4d core is lightyears behind houdini. 

Therefore you must export meshes or vdb files for use in c4d. the filp tank is the specific area where the water collides with the boat, this will contain millions of particles and also white water. You want this to be as small as possible for the sake of file handling and keeping the sims reasonable. this will likely be exported to c4d as vdb or alembic. 

The ocean surface is a surface, much like HOT4D and so is simply a plane. The thing that makes it look so impressive is the procedural displacement that houdini offers. It may be possible to export this displacement as an image sequence and then apply in vray. but I have not tried it. 

The whitewater can be exported as vdb and this is probably the most efficient way of doing it. My method with spheres was a work around, while I was trying to crack the issues with vdb in vray on Mac. 

I suggest running some tests in houdini apprentice. The ocean surface is fairly simple to setup. the flip tank will take longer, but not rocket science. 

This course has a boat/ocean tutorial. I haven't watched it but have it on good authority that it is a good tutorial series

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/houdini-intermediate-ocean-fx

• Topic Author
  • First - Thanks for all the info - I'll download the apprentice version, hook up to the houdini forum, and watch the course about the boat/ocean...

Second - I didn't explain myself correctly - I have 44 threads in total on my 2 machines (after hyper-thread) - An old i7 (6 cores, 12 threads) and a new amd threadtripper (16 cores, 32 threads). But even if I run the simulation on the 32 threads machine I think it will be enough for 150 frames - It can work for many hours without compromising with my daily work...

I hope I'll be able to extract the displacement map from houdini to vray for the ocean water - I think it will be much easier and better to render everything in vray 

I'll update here about my progress 

Peace,

Kobi

• Topic Author
  • On 5/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, spiralstair said:

The ocean surface is a surface, much like HOT4D and so is simply a plane. The thing that makes it look so impressive is the procedural displacement that houdini offers. It may be possible to export this displacement as an image sequence and then apply in vray. but I have not tried it. 

Hi spiralstair - do you have a facebook account ? There is a group for houdini users and you can get answers much much faster than in the houdini forum:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HoudiniArtists/permalink/1629066037209194/?comment_id=1629315667184231&notif_id=1525286331293786&notif_t=group_comment&ref=notif

16 hours ago, 3dkobi said:

Hi spiralstair - do you have a facebook account ? There is a group for houdini users and you can get answers much much faster than in the houdini forum:

Ah thanks I'll look into it. I have found in general the side fx forum is far less rapid than c4d cafe for solutions. Largely because it runs mainly during 'professional hours' responses happen much quicker mid week