Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith

Seeing Two Helix's Under a Sweep.

Hi all. Short 38 second video question:

Text version: I have a sweep, and under it a spline and a helix. I want to copy the helix, but it disappears. Any ideas on how to prevent it from disappearing? Thanks. 

What were you expecting that that could happen if you put 3 objects under 1 sweep? The sweep is confused.. you want to sweep that path over 2 helixes, or you want to sweep that path and 1 helix over another helix. Both don't make sense...

You need to copy the entire sweep setup to get 2 of them, or you you need to select both you helices, right click and select connect and delete, but this makes no sense, because the points will be 100% overlapping.

So again, what was you goal to do this? So we can work towards that goal.

As WB says, that will happen as soon as there is a 3rd spline, but, rather than this being because the sweep errors, that 3rd spline actually becomes seen as a 'rail spline' by the sweep object (a legitimate way of varying the banking of the swept profile along the length of the path) but incidentally breaks the sweep anyway IF the copy is in the same position as the original path. A rail spline working correctly will always be offset from the original. 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you guys. It's really difficult for me to explain more in detail... I'll come off sounding like a bumbling idiot as to why I even tried this. I'll copy the sweep itself and work from there. 

Hi, who can help me...

I created two helix, I made them editable and and I select connect objects + delete to have a single spline. (I need it for an object to follow this spline)

Now I want to adjust a bit the points..., but the problem is that I have one part with connected points and the other with disconnected points.

I attached here example...

Thanks!

screenshot.jpg

spline.c4d

This should be a new thread really, but as it is vaguely related I will answer it here.

When I load your scene I don't get the same as in your screenshot - I just get 2 spline segments that are individually connected, just not connected together. If you are seeing that too, then just select both the end points where they meet and weld them to make a single segment.

But see how dense those points are on one spline, vs how not dense they are on the other ? That's a bad thing - you should make the sections so they have roughly equal point distribution.

CBR

Have you watched any decent tutorials on the spline tools ?

I suspect not, because if you had you would know that this happens when you have 'close spline' ticked. Untick that and it should sort itself out.

CBR

You're welcome. Literally just welded the 2 points you circled in your first post ! I didn't get that diagonal line in the first file you posted, so that's all I had to do there. In your second file the problem was different - I couldn't work out what you had done to get that result, so difficult to advise how to solve it. Hence why I just fixed your first file !

CBR