So...I've been struggling with trying to get my freaking network set up the way I'd like. I've googled and watched so many tutorials an none seem to work for me. I was hoping that someone here might be able to assist me.

So here's what I'm trying to do. I have two computers. One I run c4d on and it has a few gpus in it. The second I use as a render client. Has a few gpus in it. I use octane. I am a remote employee for a company and as such have to abide by certain rules. The biggest being that I cannot leave either computer connected to the internet all of the time, for security purposes. I use my wifi to pop on to check email etc.

So what I currently want to do...is have both computers connected together via an ethernet chord and hae it so that they communicate with each other and allow for file sharing etc without that internet connection. Then when I need the internet I just pop on the wifi. I've tried setting up home groups. But my computer says its a public network and wont let me change it to a private network. I've tried setting static ip addresses etc and just can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm on Windows 10 and my little render farm is all set to private network with static IPs. I don't use homegroups (in fact they're being deprecated). To switch from public to private, go to settings and click network and internet. Should look like this - click change connection properties

1.png.b0e79a9caa0c415b1c080d7ecedff6a7.png

should take you here, where you can select private. Then click configure firewall

2.png.547213bea62c1ac75f11c93dfbcdccbe.png

now click allow an app through firewall

3.png.ca66c9c95f24570f6ffc794055c36c23.png

here I've got my Cinema stuff set to public and private. Just private would probably be OK - I think checked both when troubleshooting a problem.

4.png.69ecabedbfd526c85702cf5ee35ab056.png

these screenshots were taken before the big spring 2018 update. Microsoft have a habit of moving stuff . . .

• Topic Author
  • I don't have the option to make my connection "private". Take a look at what my window looks like...

Capture.PNG

When you set static IPs, did you fill all the boxes in ? Mine looks like this

ip4.thumb.png.90789590ae2bd55d1cb6c858bdbea8c6.png

are all pcs on the same subnet ?

BTW, at the bottom of the status page, there's 'network reset' that resets your NIC card to defaults

• Topic Author
  • To be honest I have no idea what any of that means...lol

I see you have wifi on - does that disable ethernet ? I don't use wifi.

• Topic Author
  • No. It doesn't. I've tried different ways with it on and off. Doesnt seem to make a difference.

6 minutes ago, mattbowden said:

To be honest I have no idea what any of that means...lol

When IP is on auto, all the info in the boxes is done for you. With static IP, you have to provide the data - I prefer static IPs for Team Render.

• Topic Author
  • I'm not against that I just don't know what all those numbers mean. Id have to do this on my second computer too right? For some reason my computer considers this network public. I cant seem to figure out how to change it. Not sure if that makes a difference either.

Maybe go for the nuclear option - last item here

Capture.PNG.4eb511c2c0280f8261bdf503b7912d7b.PNG

I've always thought public and private are counter intuitive - private means accessible and public is hidden in Windows.