• Topic Author
  • So I couldnt find where that network reset is...but I clicked on trouble shooter and this popped up....

Capture.PNG

• Topic Author
  • are you by chance on skype or gchat? we could just message back and forth lol.

So you haven't got Network Reset as the last item on the status page ?

Not on Skype.

• Topic Author
  • Okay I see it now. So that resets ALL of my network connections? Not just my wifi?

Resets wired (and probably wifi) - make sure you have any passwords written down lol.

Reset takes a while IIRC.

• Topic Author
  • okay. so whats my plan after  it resets. if I wanted to setup static ip like you did.

You need to know the numbers to go with your static IP ie subnet mask, gateway (router) address and some DNS - Google is easiest

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (I use open DNS)

your static IPs etc have to be similar to what the router gives you on auto. You can see the auto values by opening a command or powershell window and typing

ipconfig /all

somewhere in all the numbers will be something like this -

subnet.PNG.0848e390ca245ac7ca1d15d7fd429276.PNG

you pcs should have IPs in the same range eg 192.168.1.x, the same subnet etc

• Topic Author
  • I'm not using a router. Im connected straight from one computer to another via Cat6 cable.

That could be why the network is showing unknown - on auto the router proviides the IP, subnets etc. I guess you could try IPs similar to mine -

192.168.1.x where 0 < x < 255

and subnet 255.255.255.0

with no gateway or DNS, although if you also connect with a laptop, all the machines need to have similar numbers.

• Topic Author
  • I have a little gigabit switch I could pop in between them I think. would that help?

Have these machines ever connected ? Usually pc - cat5 - pc requires a crossover cable to connect output to input at the socket. The regular method is pc - cat5 - switch - cat5 - pc which connects things correctly using straight cables.

• Topic Author
  • Yeah. Weirdly enough I could use them for team rendering and octane network rendering...but I was never able to access other files from each computer. But for some reason all of a sudden it stopped working. Maybe I should get a cheap router to use as a go between...even if I don't plan on using the internet?