Well if they once connected on TR, maybe you have some kind of auto-sense sockets on the pcs re crossover cable. You don't need a router, but the pcs have to get numbers from somewhere - it's how they find each other.

Is filesharing enabled - status page, network and sharing center, change advanced sharing settings -

5.png.3910e3f1fcd5f72586db4f344f491c0e.png

I think the 'unknown network' malarkey needs fixing first.

I'm going to have to log off - it's 4am here in the UK ...

I think I gave you some wrong info about crossover cable being needed to connect 2 pcs with just a cable. Apparently, part of the spec of Gigabit connections is that they sense the signals on the pins and connect accordingly. Back in the days of 100Mbit networks, you needed either a switch or a crossover cable. Showing my age ...

Hello! Not sure if you got this sorted, but I think you aren't able to set the network type because it's being shown as Unidentified..meaning it has no configuration info and thus isn't fully functioning. Here is a very clear walkthrough about how to set up a direct LAN connection between two computers.

https://techwiser.com/how-to-connect-pc-to-pc-lan-cable/

The important things here are: on each computer, the 'Default Gateway' points to the other computer; set the DNS to 8.8.8.8; network discovery and file sharing is on; you have set specific folders or drives to be shared.