Sign in to follow this  
garethStanCG

Electricity/lighting

Right so im trying to make a "long" and occasional like lightning strike/electricity going along the side of this barrel from coil to coil, i want it to go on planes so i could then later import it into a games engine, anyone have any idea how i can make it look nice, along with make it efficent for a games engine. 

Thanks, Gareth.

Mhmm.JPG

Comp 1_00001.png

If you search this forum for 'lightning' you should find all the threads where we have previously discussed this, and there's a good few of them ! ;) Not much discussion on how to do it with planes though, which might be quite difficult especially if we have to get alpha involved...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yer was using sequences exported from AE with the RBG+Alpha, getting it to work in action is something else entirely xD it looks cool in a normal plane but not on anything extruded.

Will try some of the other methods on the forums but i guess i might just have to use a shader inside UDK or something 

In Vfx for realtime you create a flipbook with rendered effects which is thrown into the effects shader in the engine. The shader is applied to planes with alpha, right. In your example it seems like the uvws do not match the texture...hence the screwed up stretching. As first step Create a lenghty plane with correct uvws and model the plane around the object in the way you want the effects to appear. Be careful not to stretch the plane to preserve uvws 

• Topic Author
  • Iv created it as a RGB+ALPHA, an uv unwrapped the planes after putting them in place but i still get this effect, also if i apply the same effect to another plane the UV coordinates seem to retain the other planes placement? sorry first time trying effects like this so it's harder then i thought! but nice to know i was on the right track in some way haha 

Hi here is a file where it is working. You need adjust uvws correctly to make it work. Throw your texture in the mat and create the alpha from png.

cheers

electricity.rar

• Topic Author
  • aw man thats fantastic cheers! will try this with a few other effects, a nifty thing indeed :)!