bobc4d

Just when I thought I was out . . . .

bobc4d    115
  • Topic Author
  • Houdini has a really good UV tool, far better than C4D

Anthony Owen    29
    On 5/10/2018 at 10:34 AM, Isleofgough said:

3D coat is great, but for complex objects, a little manual work will give a MUCH better result. That definitely applies to 3D coat.

Very true but I have had luck with filigree stuff like wrought iron. I wouldn't use it for anything that had to be animated.

Fastbee    72

Welcome back bobc4d.

I am curious.  Are there no tools in the studio version of c4d that you kind of miss even with using Houdini?

The most impressive UV unwrapping tool I've seen is Unfold3D.  With 3Dcoat I'd only use Unfold3D if I was doing a lot of UV unwrapping or needed something complex to have some compact and organized UVs unwrapped.

bezo    489

Anthony never left us, he is ours...

bobc4d    115
  • Topic Author
  • On 5/19/2018 at 4:04 AM, Fastbee said:

Welcome back bobc4d.

I am curious.  Are there no tools in the studio version of c4d that you kind of miss even with using Houdini?

The most impressive UV unwrapping tool I've seen is Unfold3D.  With 3Dcoat I'd only use Unfold3D if I was doing a lot of UV unwrapping or needed something complex to have some compact and organized UVs unwrapped.

Houdini does everything Studio does that I used, mostly dynamics and voronoi, but it is not as intuitive and a lot more to do to get same result.  I am still playing with it

edit: after sleep on it I did remember something Houdini does not have Studio does and is sorely needed, camera mapping.  it does not have a way to import an image and drop an object/model into it and make it look like it belongs there.

• Like 1

bezo    489

Ofcourse, I was ment bobc4d.

Excuse Anthony, I was read this thread for few days, know it´s all about bobc4d and at the end wrote wrong name. Really don´t understand why...

I thing I was looking for real name and yours stay in my mind...

(I´m not as old as it could be by my age :) )

:compFist:

Isleofgough    21

Houdini doesn’t have sculpting. There is an awkward workaround that I doubt anyone uses. The retopo tool is not up to C4D polypen. Npr rendering is more complex to set up and not as powerful (unless you are willing to get into complicated shader builds). Lots of things require extra non intuitive nodes to correct the lack of built in options (like uV mapping of sweeps). There are few procedural surface textures built in, so you will end up doing a lot of work to get what C4D offers out of the box. You need a lot more organizational skills to be able to find where things are done. The viewport will generally not display procedural textures, unlike C4D. Substance shaders are better incorporated in C4D (you really can't change reflection or specular in Houdini with these). There are other downsides, but the power is amazing.

• Like 1