Sign in to follow this  
bobc4d

Just when I thought I was out . . . .

Just wanted to post about this new set of tools which IMHO makes Houdini a lot more palatable to C4D users who are used to pulling up easy-to-configure MoGraph effectors and unavoidably end up being quite disappointed when they discover that Houdini makes even something as simple as cloning a bunch of cubes on a grid and randomizing their position a big challenge. It's weird in a way how ridiculously easy it can be to set up a complex fluid simulation, but simply creating a fall-off which affects size or random distribution can be a nightmare for anyone not well versed in VEX coding.

Well…no more! Last night MOPS was released by two really brilliant guys and I do think it should instantly make Houdini a lot more familiar to many of us. Check out some of the videos, you'll recognize a lot of familiar things from C4D, except within the Houdini nodal context. Pretty cool stuff for people interested in being able to work on both platforms.

https://www.motionoperators.com

This is a step in the right direction. What you get is several Pre-Built networks of nodes with intuitive parameters to the network. You never need to edit the contents and can use it to set up clones. However, unlike C4D’s mograph, you can go in and tweak the nodes in the network to add features not in the digital asset. Since one of the big criticisms of Houdini is that a lot of nodes and setups are not intuitive, this digital asset allows you to learn how such setups are made.

VaroMix came up with a polygon pen tool in Houdini,  start with a grid add a topobuild then attach grid to righthand input on topobuild.

I've used the retopo tool in Houdini but didn't know about the method above. I'll check it out. Thanks.