Sign in to follow this  
Yohnson

Sperm movement animation

Yohnson    1

Hello,

I was wondering what the best way to create a sperm moving forward with the realistic tail movements. I found this reference of the kind of thing I want to achieve (see the shot at 30 - 33 seconds): 

Would this have to be a rigged model to get the 'tail flicks' ? and have it following a spline path for the movement?.. This would be my wild guess but I'm completely new to animation in C4D and any tips / tricks / Suggestions /  tutorials would be amazing.

Thank you in advance :)

Cerbera    1,898

I think I'd have a go with the wind deformer first ! Hang on - let me a do a small test or 2...

CBR

Cerbera    1,898

Yep, that's working nicely, and could be perfect with a little tweaking.

Built my sperm down the Z axis, used wind deformer (but had to rotate it 90 degrees) with an inverse spherical falloff encompassing the 'head' area  keeping that still while the tail goes nuts.

5aef4b6b025aa_spermmotion.thumb.gif.9df3ed460b4f4f5e1eac0c0688017712.gif

CBR

Yohnson    1
  • Topic Author
  • 22 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, that's working nicely, and could be perfect with a little tweaking.

Built my sperm down the Z axis, used wind deformer (but had to rotate it 90 degrees) with an inverse spherical falloff encompassing the 'head' area  keeping that still while the tail goes nuts.

5aef4b6b025aa_spermmotion.thumb.gif.9df3ed460b4f4f5e1eac0c0688017712.gif

CBR

Thank you. That's great!

And this way it's possible to have it moving forward too? Going out now but gonna give this a try later! Thank you again!

Cerbera    1,898

No, the forward movement  has to be done separately, most usefully along a spline, via the align to spline tag...

By keyframing its progress along the spline and the frequency of the wind deformer, you can make it either swim forward constantly, or in little bursts if that's more what you want...

CBR

Yohnson    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you so much for the advice. It's looking great so far!...

Just another problem I'm encountering.. I'm trying to get lots of these little fellas moving in the same direction. I've added a cloner and added random object so there are a good few of them all from different positions...

The only thing is - the Wind deformer is not randomising so they are all swaying the same way at the same time which I don't want.. also.. I tested the align to spline tag and working really nicely on one of these but is it possible to achieve a forward motion along multiple splines for a group of them inside a cloner? .. Agiain, I want each one to have it's own individual path to give it a realistic feel.. 

Thanks again! :)

Cerbera    1,898
    2 hours ago, Yohnson said:

the Wind deformer is not randomising

Correct - the wind deformer does not randomize when cloned. You need several clones with wind deformers on each, each one set to a subtly different frequency. You only need 3 or 4 unique clones before you lose the patterns in the crowd...

CBR