luchifer    38

Hi, I did this piece for my one year old, at first I was going to do a battle sequence, but after thinking in my little one I thought It would be cool to have a peaceful resolution of the conflict (the mecha is invading the monster world, anyway). I did the sculpting of the mecha and the monster in Zbrush using livebooleans and the improved dynamesh from last patch, and the materials, rendering and lightning and environment were done in Cinema 4D. Smoke was done in X-particles, exported as VDB and composited into the scene to receive some volume lightning, and the post composition in After Effects. The mecha design is inspired by one of the works of artist Jon Lane (a drawing of the front of the mecha that looked really cool), as I couldn't reach him, even if is not for profit, I thought the best approach was to show the backside of the mecha (wich I didn't had reference from the drawing). I hope you guys like it. Animation coming soon, although is just camera animation). Rendering was done in Redshift, 10 minutes average per frame because even decimated I ended up with a really large file (90 mb aprox is the scene size), and C4D is just really great at working with dense geometry. Rocks on the ground were cloned and smoothed, I wanted to add more but the cost benefit of the rendering was not worth it.

This is my first work posted here. Be gentle with the critics, but please leave a comment so I can improve my work in the future. Next time i'll just use normal maps instead of just decimating and let C4D handle 9 million polygons.

multi_(0;00;00;09).png

Edited by luchifer
on/at in the title / rendering time
  • Like 1

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • this is the mecha textured without color correction / lightning. I believe I did some changes on the feet for the final image, and used a different smooth for the barrel of the gun and some parts, also the texture was a little too strong so I changed that as well for the final image.

29983129_10156815760416554_7657962284170516088_o.jpg

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • Also, this is the scene in C4D, viewport was very responsive once I separated everything into its own layer and decimated / collapsed some geometry. Hair of the monster wasnt too long to calculate either, I separated all the pieces for animation, but ended discarding the idea.. I just love C4D / zbrush workflow so I will keep doing some sci-fi or whatever.

30420286_10156850014636554_7430873055073788429_o.jpg

natevplas    43

This is really cool!  Am I the only one a little baffled that this if for a 1-year-old?  Is he into Dungeons and Dragons too? :P

EDIT:

Here's a little critique.  I love the detail in the fur and skin of the bat creature.  Unfortunately, the teeth look like they were an after-thought, hastily modeled and slapped in.  I recommend spending more time on the head in general, giving it more detail and form.  I like the Mech guy, especially the modeling, but some of his textures seem a bit repetitive and the grunge is too evenly spread across all his parts.  A pop of color in the paint job somewhere wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by natevplas
    added critique

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the input, I appreciate the critique. Yes, the teeth was an after-thought because his birthday / deadline was right behind the corner (last 25 april) and he is starting to walk so I had less time to work so I rushed some things that now Im trying to correct. Also, I thought -because the monster was far away- the blur and atmosphere will "hide" the lack of detail, but I really liked the skin so I opted not to blur him too much.  I really suck at coloring images (I have a bad habit of using very few colors but I have to improve that also), and because I enjoy a lot more modeling than texturing, I mostly use triplanar and do some texture layering with falloffs, and try to compensate with some lightning and mood in the final composition. I'll be more careful in the future.

I did a spaceship for him too.. and yes.. I already bought Legend of Drizzt boardgame and Arkham Horror Living Card Game for when he is ten years old (the last one maybe when he is a little older than that). Edit.. also modeled in Zbrush / C4D, Rendered in Redshift / C4D

28947194_10156721736746554_1848823490985926982_o.jpg

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • last update. I tried your recomendations (as far as my free time allowed me), and I think it look better than before. I also re-light the smoke, to be darker. I still havent worked on the tooth modeling, but I worked a little on the material, and in the eyes of the monster as well.

Thanks.

multi_(0;00;00;00).png

natevplas    43

Nice work so far!  I like what you've done with the Mech.  The eyes on the creature are looking better.  I liked the framing and lighting you had for the original still better than this, actually.  It works better if you keep your monster kind of hidden by smoke and shadow- makes him scarier.  There's something about the material you have for the skin- I think it has too strong of SSS or something.  It makes it seem like he's very tiny.  Also, it may be the lighting, texture, or even the sculpt but his face lacks some definition and structure.  Seems just sort of washed out and flat.  The ears seem very thick as well.

Anyway, you're doing great work!  I'm just getting nit picky.  Hopefully it's helpful and not just annoying since this is just a passion project.

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • I had another look on the image, also a test with camera movement (no animation). Little tweaks here and there. I wasnt really aiming for a scary look.. the monster is just in his ecosystem, like a lion or a polar bear would do. or react. Perhaps its the lighning on his face that washes away some detail.. I cant do much at this point because the render is taking way too long.. I have two machines (40 minutes on a quadro M 4000 / 17 minutes on an GTX 1070 ti). I had to "reduce" the image size by rendering 1920 x 806 and cheating with a "cinema look" to avoid extra rendering time.

Once I figure out how to upload a video, I'll post again.

multi.png

• Like 1

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • ----- nothing to see here ------

• Like 1

EAlexander    22

Cool project! What stands out to me is that the whole thing looks composited together and there is a uniformity of tone and lighting that it's lacking. 

I didn't think about it in the stills, but seeing the animation makes me wonder where and what that smoke is coming from...

Hope that helps, Keep going! 

e. 

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • about the smoke, first I was aiming to tell a story.. a starship crashed on Europa, a couple of astronauts wounded and then the mecha protecting them from the monster that was mostly curious about what happend.... I did some tests but real life caught in the way for a large scale project because of my firstborn who is one year old and learning to walk. I couldnt finish it the way I wanted. I ended up discarding the astronauts (but I will model them later) and changed the story to reflect the monster as some kind of huge polar bat, living in Europa and the mecha being the trespasser, and the conflict resolved through peace instead of heavy tech weaponry, and because I always wanted to do sculptures with a little camera movement (zoom instead of turntables, or like the intro from Black Sails), thats the look the image ended up... so, yeah.. I guess I could just have rendered some layers and composited them together.... Im adding the different passes I used to make it. The total animation is 360 frames, and then im gonna do something else, because I cant wait to go back to the drawing board with a proper story. with proper normal maps, and something that wont change during production thus saving me time for my little one.

I aimed for natural colors, to reflect the beauty of the environment and to show the mecha (green / orange) and the smoke as the outsiders. I thought I could make it work, but I still have a lot to learn. Also, I tried to do this project the proper way, because Im a little tired of hearing a lot of people thinking Cinema 4D is "that tool for Motion Graphics", so I composited several AOVs in After Effects.

Im adding some AOVs, tomorrow I will uploading the animation and start doing either a tank mecha or a lab... I dont know yet... but I will keep trying to improve thanks to your input guys (composite pass, beauty, depth, puzzlematte of hair, volume fog and volume light)

composited image.png

pass beauty.jpg

pass depth copy.jpg

pass monster hair copy.jpg

pass volume fog copy.jpg

pass volume light copy.jpg

luchifer    38
  • Topic Author
  • Nothing to see here