• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
kitefly

Tutorials for research needed

hey guys i have small project coming up involving particles and fluids but i don´t have real flow or XP, can you guys point me to some TP tutorials. 

Any ideas how to achieve fluid sims directly in C4D, what other options do i have, any one know any free plug ins ? 

Help me out with the research please you great fountain of knowledge ! 

The Lounge (non-C4D discussions) is not the place for this, so I have moved it where it should be for you...

There is nothing in Cinema that can do liquid sims past what you can achieve with a metaball, which isn't much. Give up on TP - it just isn't up to liquids sims, so no tutorial will help you there...

Until recently there was nothing free that could either (maybe Blender excepted) but that isn't the case any more. Since the end of development of Navie FX, the developer did share a free version of that, and it can do liquid sims. There is already a thread or 2 about that plugin on the cafe so have a search about and you should find the download links and slightly complicated install instructions.

Here's what the liquid setup looks like in that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • ty man, would realflow be a good option in your opinion

16 minutes ago, kitefly said:

ty man, would realflow be a good option in your opinion

Don't have it myself, but I have heard mixed things about RF for C4D - some people really like it, others complain it is not as good as the standalone version, and feel it is rather limited in Cinema. having said that there has been another version since then where things may have improved. I 'd have a go on the demo and see how it's looking for you...

Edit: just seen you are running C4D Demo, in which case you can't install any plugins...

CBR

54 minutes ago, Isleofgough said:

I think the free plugin was removed as the code was sold to insidium (x particles).

Indeed it was, 2 days after I posted :)

CBR

47 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Indeed it was, 2 days after I posted :)

CBR

I hope they actually do something with it, and haven't just bought it to make sure no one else gets hold of the technology. I'm also hoping they got the original developer on board for atleast some consulting time. Can't imagine having to reverse engineering someone else complex coding.

Short of a real program for fluids (Houdini, Real Flow), one can fake simple ocean waves in C4D with  animated shaders and some object animations. It obviously won't work for anything that needs to do anything complicated. I had a link to an older tutorial but it seems to have been taken down. A quick search showed me this:

Here is a simplified file with water animation. Note that any real interaction of water with an object will look fake, since there is no change in the waves related to this (so make your waves pretty minimal).

I don't have x-particles, so I don't know how well their current fluid solver works.

WaterSimplified.c4d