Hi,

I have a simple drawbridge (flat cube), which I want to lift up and down (90 degrees) by two cables. My idea is to work with two splines with flexible endpoints, which will be animated by PLA. I want to avoid using tags like rigid body or spline dynamics. I want to keep it simple. Is it possible to fix the endpoints to the movement of the drawbridge?

Thanks, Alex

drawbridge.thumb.jpg.65985bee37c71c23dbdcf7ed230545dc.jpg

Don't kill yourself with constraints or fixing endpoints for something as simple as this. Just fake it like this. Very easy and quick to set something like this up with a bend. Not to mention that that fixing end points is going to leave you having to deal with some oddness at the bend in the rope.

preview.mov

Drawbridge.c4d

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • Hi, thanks guys!

@Cerbera: Yes, I have the constrain-tags at hair-tags

@StCanas: Looks great and maybe its the right way to fake it. But my aim was to avoid the manual key adjustments in the bend object to fake the fixing points at the panel. Nevertheless, thanks to set up the demo scene, StCanas!

If you have hair tags , then your profile information must be wrong, which is very much not helpful to us when you are asking for help. Please update that to the correct version.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi, sorry I will correct it ---> C4D R17 Studio

Do you have any other ideas concerning my problem?

I would appreciate it.

Thx, Alex

Cheers. I like @StCanas's idea for doing it with keyframes to be honest. If you have ruled out rigid and spline dynamics you do rather limit your remaining choices.

There is the the hair constraint - this can attach your ropes at both ends to different things, but that's only half the battle won because you still have to make it react like taut rope, something I am really struggling to think of a way to do without some kind of dynamics. I'll keep thinking but I reckon go with the keyframes for now... 

CBR

You can do it with some Null objects and a tracer.

Parent 1 Null to the door, where it should connect, parent one at the  red circle and put one at the top.

Make a tracer, set it to Connect All Objects, and put the Null's in the trace link.

This works, now you can place a few more Nulls around the red circle, put the Tracer spline Type to B-spline to get that natural angle.

You only have to keyframe the door open and close, and the tracer will do the rest, so sweep the trace and done.

However, since you don't want any dynamics, it will look rather sh*** if you want to use a real cable/rope texture, you are not moving the spline, you are just stretching it out.

• Topic Author
  • thanks, guys! I'll give it a try with the tracer idea if I get you right, Westbam.

• Topic Author
  • Should work fine for my task. I just need to animate the door and the cables will follow. I'm sure I can fake a small radius at the corner point. But that isn't that important. thanks guys for your fast and smart help!

16 hours ago, agag said:

@StCanas: Looks great and maybe its the right way to fake it. But my aim was to avoid the manual key adjustments in the bend object to fake the fixing points at the panel.

It would take you less than ten minutes to set it up the way I did it so there doesn't seem much point in sweating it out another way just for the sake of a handful of keyframe.

• Topic Author
  • Hi, the tracer-object works fine to grow a sweep with a profile following a special path (Drawbridge). Now I am considering to use this method in an other situation. A crane with a cable should move the cable from 0 to 100% and then back to 0%. Is there a way to reverse the tracer via the same path? I want that after the full-grown sweep will grow reverse to for example to 50%. Would be great if anybody has an idea? thanks