Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Cinema 4D Plugins

Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

AO shading error

bezo    536

You can see this shading error also without material. It´s caused wrong mesh geometry (nonplanar polygons) and higher Phong tag value.

Fir this kind of models could be better use (very)lowpoly mesh under SDS...

If you lower Phong to value 37, center errors disapear (but cause hard edge loop along)

• Like 1

Cerbera    1,976

Yes, I agree with Bezo. Even with no angle limit set in the phong, the triangle shading errors persist, EVEN if you retopo the middle bit and eliminate uneven polys from the equation. Those tests prove that this is a non-planar poly error. The good news is that you can solve it either as Bezo suggested (and I am a great fan of his suggestion to remodel this very low poly w/ SDS) or you can solve what you have now by simply placing it under L1 or L2 SDS which reduces the non-planarity to phong-rescuable levels.

CBR

Freemorpheme    12
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. Just to be clear, the flat bit I have made in the middle with stitch and sew is non planar, meaning the points are not all on one plane? Would a pole in the middle have been better than the route I chose?

Cerbera    1,976
    4 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

the flat bit I have made in the middle with stitch and sew is non planar

No, pretty much the whole model is non-planar; that is to say individual polygons are slightly twisted, which reveals their triangular sub-faces in the render if phong cannot save it and you do not further subdivide it. Turn on mesh checker to see which polys are wrong (the red ones, all but about 4 !). And that's why we recommend you rebuild it...

And if you do rebuild it, I'd aim for something like this, which I started from an 8 sided disc primitive. 

5afb571d1d93f_plateletminpoly.thumb.PNG.81ae3b8fa6f8b132fb41d54040a531d7.PNG

I know what you're thinking - 'that's very regular - we could do with some organic deformation...', right ? :)

What we need is to uniquely displace each platelet. If we are subdividing, it doesn't matter if that displacement causes our polys to go non-planar and triangulated (possibly what caused the problem on your original model).

A displacer driven by world space noise in a group with a cloned array of platelets will get you those unique shapes (most effectively if you include the subdvision in the displacement), but if the platelets are to be animated you don't necessarily want them moving 'through' the noise as they travel (although that could be quite good secondary motion if subtle enough).

If you need them fixed shape as they move then you'd need to CStO the displaced cloner, then do a new one to deal with the animation with the displacement applied.

CBR

Freemorpheme    12
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks cerbs, I will remake it according to your instruction. Before I saw your reply I tried to remake it low poly using a torus, but ended up with another terrible shading error when it's under an SDS. I have clearly made a fundamental modelling mistake, but to my eyes the model seems OK. Can you point out what I have done?

bloodcell_error2.c4d

blood cell_error2.jpg