Sign in to follow this  
bobc4d

Possible bug, Extrude poly on tube . .

yanno if you select some pollys on a sphere, extrude them then hold ctrl+scale it will flatten out the polys along with supporting polys, right? it doesn't work with the tube object or at least I can't get it done.  I had a tube 36 segments, made editable, loop cut twice about 10% on either side, selected polys, extruded them, then ctrl+scale and it only flattened the polys and not supporting polys, same thing with a cylinder but it worked with a sphere.  so whats the difference between tube, cylinder and sphere when doing this?  

is this a bug or just the nature of tube and cylinder? so then how would you do this on a tube a cylinder?

I would say C4D is punishing you for being away, but I don't know the key stroke combination you are using. Ctrl move or ctrl scale is set by default to duplicate polygons, so I've always used it that way. Ctrl move substitutes somewhat for extrude and ctrl scale for inset. Ctrl rotate makes a mess of polygons because it duplicates them. I'll try it on my computer but what exactly are you doing?

I've done what you seem to be wanting to do by after extruding, setting scale to selected>normal and scaling the normal a few times to get it to zero. If one starts the scaling and then holds down shift, it will scale in increments to get a perfect zero scale, but you probably already knew this way.

1 hour ago, bobc4d said:

so whats the difference between tube, cylinder and sphere when doing this?  

I think I disagree with your main premise - that ctrl-scale straightens out anything. Ctrl scale duplicates polys while scaling.

The only time scale is used to flatten out extruded polys, it is done in normal axis mode by scaling specifically on Z, with no modifier keys AFAIK...

So that's me very confused as to what you are talking about... :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Man, now I'm the one confused. Take a sphere, make editable, select 4 polys ( square ) set extruder to zero, grab axis tool pull ( extrude) them out a ways, then while polys still selected pick scale tool and scale inward to zero and they are flattened out.   Or maybe I am just in a  dream sequence 

11 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

Man, now I'm the one confused. Take a sphere, make editable, select 4 polys ( square ) set extruder to zero, grab axis tool pull ( extrude) them out a ways, then while polys still selected pick scale tool and scale inward to zero and they are flattened out.   Or maybe I am just in a  dream sequence 

That's both of us then :)

What do you mean 'set extruder to 0' ? If you are extruding by just ctrl-dragging a group of polys with move tool, the Extrude tool shouldn't even be active, right, so where are you setting that to 0 ? 

When I follow the exact steps you describe (except the extruder to 0 bit) it just does the equivalent of an inner extrude, and ctrl-scale copies in the selected faces , which is what I'd expect that to do. It only goes flat if you scale (no modifiers) on (in this case) X axis only.

CBR 

BobC4D: I wouldn't do it that way, because you have an extra unnecessary step. If you want to set extrude to zero and then grab the axis tool to pull them outwards, that is the same (but more cumbersome) way of just ctrl dragging them outwards. But just for larks, I followed how you did it (using the shift modifier for scaling in z axis) and it seems to work for both editable spheres and editable tubes. (the only reason to do an extrude rather than ctrl drag is if you want them to scale as they are moved according the the shape of the polygons selected. You defeat the benefit of that by setting extrude to zero. In addition, a zero extrude is a bit dangerous as you create duplicated edges that can come back to haunt you)

TubeSphereExtrude.c4d