Yohnson    1

Hello,

So I have a scene where I am focussing in on a particular point but then I want the camera to suddenly swing sharply as something comes in from behind.

This is just one option. The other option is to switch cams but I want to test to see which works best.

I've been messing with the settings on the Camera Crane but can't seem to get a sharp turn, as it always swings 180 but around a very large circumference.

Is it best to use the motion camera for this? .. The only thing is I want smooth movements and not handheld shaky ones.

Any tips much appreciated :)

natevplas    43

Hmmm.. What do you mean by "swing sharply?"  Do you mean pan?  If so, you can just animate the H Rotation parameter on the camera.  
It would help us a lot if you could upload a scene file so we know better what you're trying to solve.

StCanas    56

Without seeing a scene I don't know if there's some unforeseen complication but, that aside, do it like this. Just put a Null in as a Camera Target (with a Target Tag on the Camera) and track the two objects with the Null as desired.

Tracking Camera.c4d

• Like 1

everfresh    301

if you're working with a camera rig/crane make sure the rigs position is right at the point you want to move your cam around. the behaviour you're describing sounds like you moved the rig to get closer to the object instead of dollying in on it. 

Yohnson    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the replies all. I'm going to take another look at this later on tonight based on advice above. If still struggling will upload the file or an example of what I mean.

Cheers :) 

Yohnson    1
  • Topic Author
  • hey, so please see the attached if this helps to what I'm trying to do.. Excuse the quick sketch I'm at work!

So Basically the cam is pointing at 'A' and then 'B' comes up from behind (outside the cam view).. The cam then 'sharply' and 'smoothly' Rotates to point at 'B' as it comes towards'A' .... This sounds simple enough even to me but the problem I have is the camera ends up swinging in a very large circumference taking in unwanted parts of the scene.... I currently have this set up on a camera crane and it's proper annoyin' me haha.. 

I'm sure there must be a simple solution to this!

Cam_example.jpg

Cerbera    1,912

I'd get it off the crane, and just do this with simple rotation and keyframes myself...

CBR

Yohnson    1
  • Topic Author
  • Yes I think It's difficult to do this with the crane as there seems to be issues with the amount of swing circumference!..

Reason I had it set up on the crane is because before the shot I sketched out there is other pans and zooms etc that utilise the crane well and wanted to keep it in here. I'm going to have to re-think this one!

Cheers

StCanas    56
    11 hours ago, Yohnson said:

hey, so please see the attached if this helps to what I'm trying to do.. Excuse the quick sketch I'm at work!

So Basically the cam is pointing at 'A' and then 'B' comes up from behind (outside the cam view).. The cam then 'sharply' and 'smoothly' Rotates to point at 'B' as it comes towards'A' .... This sounds simple enough even to me but the problem I have is the camera ends up swinging in a very large circumference taking in unwanted parts of the scene.... I currently have this set up on a camera crane and it's proper annoyin' me haha.. 

I'm sure there must be a simple solution to this!

Cam_example.jpg

This would seem to be exactly what I demonstrated in the example file.

jed    305

You could use a mix node (data type vector) to move the camera target null from A to B. There's a slider in this file, and you can tweak the speed/response in the timeline.

aimA2B.c4d

• Like 1