Rendercore Lab

RichMed

Best computer for C4D

RichMed    1

Is there a general preference on which computer is best suited for C4D for rendering and animation? I have been tasked by my manager to supply a rough cost estimate for hardware by the end of today...nothing like short notice!!!

I currently have C4D visualize and run it on a MacBook Pro mid 2015 with;

• 16GB RAM
  • 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB graphics card

I have used Mac's all my professional life and wondered if a new iMac Pro would be better suited, the spec is;

• 18-Core 2.3GHz Intel Xeon W Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz 42.75MB cache
  • Radeon Pro Vega 64 graphics processor with 16GB of HBM2 memory
  • 128GB of 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory

Or, would a similar spec PC do just the same job? I am not very knowledgeable about PC's.

I am quite new to the 3D world so please excuse my lack of knowledge but any information received would be greatly appreciated.

Unstable    6

Hi RichMed, I've been doing a lot of research on this very topic lately and what I've found out is that C4D is primarily single threaded CPU based for Modeling and Animation, which means you want high MHz. While rendering is multi-threaded multi-core based, so you want a lot of cores. And if you use Render Pro or a third party render plugin like RedShift or Octane, then you'll want Nvidia cards to utilize the GPU for rendering. The bad part is, if you're not doing GPU rendering and you want a general machine for both modeling and rendering, the more cores your CPU has, the lower the MHz. I can't help you with Apple products because I'm a PC guy. I'm also not advertising for Puget Systems, but this link shows you the two different PC configurations for C4D they have. https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Cinema-4D-166. They've based these machine configurations on the 2015 Cinabench results.

I did buy my current PC from them before I started using C4D and have been very happy with it. I'll probably buy my next from them as well, once I figure out the best machine for doing both modeling and rendering in C4D. Hope this info helps in your decision.

• Like 1

RichMed    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the reply Unstable, I'll check out that link and check the specs against the Macs. I asked the guy who did the training course I did and he said , "you basically want as much as you can of everything - lots of ram, fastest processor you can grab and a decent graphics card." 

Mcvivi    0

Hi RichMed

I had a mac @home since the 80th and reluctant to go away. For the time being iMac 27 Retina. View port is "ok" not great but rendering is very slow.

I've started to use Cycles4d from INSYDIUM and this would work perfectly on NVIDEA GPU. So I bought a render PC with 1080 GPU and  X399 AMD Ryzen 12core

This way I can continue using my loved iMac :-)

erwin