Yeah, axis extension is pretty cool.

I also use the the workplane options to put objects on the surface of other objects, though it is maybe a bit convoluted.

Like:

- "align workplane to selection", so the center and orientation of the new workplane matches the, for example, face you want to align to. This is also great to create new objects which will be already placed and aligned to that selection

- choose an existing object and do Reset PSR on it and then "align object to workplane" which will get it in the center of the new workplane.

Also 'scroll to first active object'. We could go on and on... I'll stop now :)

CBR

I used MODO since v201, and left MODO for C4D at 901.  Prior to that I was using DAZ3D Hexagon for all my modelling.  Modo is much more capable as a modeller, but that comes at a cost to complexity, and many more steps to a simple process, but thats the trade off for more control. 

The main things that stood out to me when moving to C4D was lack of "proper symmetry modelling, and the ability to bring symmetry back when some verts are out in a non destructive manor.  Now you can do this with C4D sculpting tools, but iv not had much success with that.  Radial symmetry, and to model with all tools based on multiple selections to their normal is a massive thing, C4D lacks this.  Another area is action centres such like C4D  Modelling Axis options, they just never work well for me in C4D as MODO ones do.  Slice options have been working well from early days in MODO, and MODO has extensive welding options.  MODO Uv tools are very good, and very interactive, plus making edits after Uv mapping does not destroy Uvs, but update them.  UDIMs have been in MODO for some time, and they have been made  even easier use than ever. Multiple Uv maps per object and to bake down the render element from a object in front of another object onto another Uv set such as reflection, spec, even SSS effect.  Very handy when you wish to bake the reflection of the lens in front of the eye along with the diffuse colour behind it.

Fill quads was another tool that I found handy in Modo.  I could have a gap of many polygons in the mesh and MODO fill quads would look at the surrounding edges and produce a clean fill. Its bevel tools have got much better over time.  The Falloffs allow for some serious control over deformations, and can be combined into a tool stack for use at another time.  Macros was a feature I used allot.  When I had a building with hundreds of windows, id turn macro recording on, and perform many bevels, extrusions in which I can apply it to multiple selections as a ready to use script.  I would make some macros into tools placed into my own custom pallet.   The bridge tool, again a simple tool that should allow multiple edges to be selected at once to bridge to the opposite side, this dont happen in C4D.  A simple copy and paste command Ctrl + C Ctrl + V is something id used extensively to produce new parts copied from a polygon selection to a new mesh.  C4D takes a crazy route around this using tools such as the Split tool, by the time iv used that iv done 20 copy and paste commands producing 20 parts extracted from my original mesh within MODO.

Pattern identification selection is powerful.  I can select 1 polygon miss 2, select 3, and get MODO to loop select around a whole object with that pattern based selection, very handy for technical modelling.

These are just a few things that got my attention right away, and these are huge time savers.  Why on earth did I move to C4D then I hear you ask?  Well despite Modo having a much more advanced modelling tool set it felt too clinical for organic modelling, but for hard surface modelling id without doubt turn to MODO.  C4D feels more inviting, and feels like it was made for artists not technicians.   I still have Modo 901 so if need be I can turn back for some things such as mentioned above, or to apply a Mocap to a rig without loosing its original controllers with a easy 3 click step.  Very easy to mirror poses from one side to the other.  PSD morphs have been in MODO for years, C4D has just got them in r19 but they are broke because they dont render out. Open Subsiv works a charm in Modo and speeds things up a fair bit, but in 901 it just could not handle large scenes, its rigging was very complicated, yet flexible, sculpting and painting was slow, C4D much faster.  Dynamics in 901 was clunky and slow, and the hair system is not even close to what C4D offers.  C4D dynamics, cloth, muscle are areas that have been in there for a long time, yet in MODO they are barely usable, or as in the case for muscles Modo has non, neither does it have NLA.  You see it wasnt just Modelling for me it was a multitude of other things that made me move on.

As a modeller id still say for the advanced modeller MODO is right up there, its native render engine is sweet, and has a fast IPR.  Its have some attention in other areas since I left so cant comment on them, but it looks to be more solid than ever on paper.

Dan

• Like 1

The bridge tool, again a simple tool that should allow multiple edges to be selected at once to bridge to the opposite side, this dont happen in C4D.

There is the stitch and sew tool in C4D that does this. Unless I didn't get correctly what you meant. And of course it's possible that the bridge in Modo is better, I wouldn't know.

The Bridge edge in C4D is more of an interactive tool in that you can just drag edges to bridge them to other edges without needing to select anything first. And by now it's pretty much made obsolete by the Polygon Pen tool which can do the exact same thing.

Bridge in poly mode kinda does what you expect, though.

42 minutes ago, filipstamate said:

There is the stitch and sew tool in C4D that does this. Unless I didn't get correctly what you meant. And of course it's possible that the bridge in Modo is better, I wouldn't know.

The Bridge edge in C4D is more of an interactive tool in that you can just drag edges to bridge them to other edges without needing to select anything first. And by now it's pretty much made obsolete by the Polygon Pen tool which can do the exact same thing.

Bridge in poly mode kinda does what you expect, though.

The bridge tool in Modo dont just move edges from one side to the other its creates new polygons that bridge the gap.  You can select say 20 edges one side and 20 the other and it will bridge the gap.  You have other options too such as twist, and bridge between more edges on one side than the other and you have control how it deals with this.  Been a while since iv used it but here your see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSqlqCD4jU&t=106s

Dan

OK, definitely much more advanced, with divisions and and profiles and stuff like that.

Stitch and Sew can create polygons between the edges too by holding Shift.

Edit: Just saw the auto-connection option, that's really awesome. Can be used to do proper quad-caps too. Very, very nice.

1 hour ago, filipstamate said:

OK, definitely much more advanced, with divisions and and profiles and stuff like that.

Stitch and Sew can create polygons between the edges too by holding Shift.

Edit: Just saw the auto-connection option, that's really awesome. Can be used to do proper quad-caps too. Very, very nice.

Yea pretty much all the tools in MODO does what you expect on a basic level, but has a host of additional options that let you tailor it to a much more enhanced application.   It is the case that you only miss what you get used to having, but the things I pointed out in my post where things that made a huge difference to the efficiency and workflow.  Keeping in mind there has been a fair few years of enhancements gone into MODO since 901, we are at version 12.1 now.  I hope C4D r20 bridges that gap as id be quite happy to sell Modo if C4D could close that gap, but as of now even for its topology tools Modo is a keeper.

Dan 

Eh, I wouldn't be that optimistic. They did improve a lot their modeling tools from what they were, but I think only because they were left way behind by everything else. I wish they'd realize they were left behind in the UV department too. :p

Anyway, I just don't think modeling is a priority for them, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong and maybe that "new modeling kernel" thing will actually mean something good. We'll see. Even if it, it's probably not gonna beat a program that started with the focus on modeling in terms of features.

For me Modo and C4D are two different takes totally, Modo is cluttered an technical and Cinema is cleaner and simpler. I use em both (Modo 12 and Cinema 19), but I would love to only use one, preferably Cinema.

Things that I miss in Modo:

Simplified interface

Stability

Less lag in viewport when scattering

A scattering plugin that simpler than their own.

Corona...

Things that I miss in Cinema:

A propper UV unwrapper (still hoping they buy Headys UV Layout).

Falloffs tool from Modo.

Things that I miss in both:

Max has this great plugin for creating wood panels and floor.

But this is our playing ground, we use a lot of (very expensive) software, as there is no one all mighty software that can do it all. Max is on the way, but it´s too expensive.

3DKiwi/Nigel has been modeling a lot lately in Blender, and he has a good impression of C4D, Modo, and Blender for modeling now.

He just finished the Master Car Creation course. He makes good points (and the car looks beautifully modeled!).

https://community.foundry.com/discuss/post/1155998

Blender plus commercial modeling addons is still a much less expensive proposition, of course.

I couldn't work with C4D without having Modo backing me up. The modeling, UV-ing and retopo tools are simple done in a much more artist friendly way then in C4D. I wish there would be a goModo and goC4D button that links both applications. Yet R20 improved a lot in my workflow. Still edge creasing and SubD workflow is not very good in C4D. I actually tend to use just the redshift tag to do SubD as the results on UVs are much better then with C4D's subD item.. and yeah tags are just be the better workflow, maybe someone could even convince the Redshift developers to allow a selection or vertex tag to filter SubDs. (I don't start modeling SubD in C4D)

Yet there is a lot nice stuff in C4D too. They just made the mistake to make every operation a tool. In Modo loop selection or selection in general are no tools. You would choose rectangle selection to get away from selection paint. Its just left and right mouse button, so the propose of that tool doesn't even exist in Modo. Same for loop or grow selection, its all in the basic tools. This speed up modeling a lot. Modo was first a modeler and everything else came later. Probably the reason for this. 

In order to use both application I changed a lot shortcuts and add scripts where ever needed. C4D is the last 3D I learned, after learning and using all others in production, except Blender. 

I can't say any 3d product is perfect for everything, but I really like C4D for where it excels compare to the rest.

Its more like, every tool has its market. And if I would just model, I would stop using C4D.. but its not what I do. There are reason why tools like zBrush and Mudbox exist, or else. 

Now what I would really find interesting is, how people fill the gaps of missing functions and tools when moving to another software. I mean, I still find it extremely hard to manage scenes in C4D with hundreds of select set scattered through the object browser. I don't get that concept, it messes up my scene. Ok, I found a detaching Object to material groups script. But, its terrible slow. I really don't understand why its crazy fast to convert the whole scene with thousands of object into single mesh, but take ages (in my case 30 min) to break a 500.000 poly mesh up into 50 different groups? How do you solve that?

On 7/3/2018 at 3:42 AM, Cerbera said:

Yes me too - awesome feature :) And Axis Extension / Snap - couldn't work that for years, then it suddenly clicked, and now all my stuff is perfectly aligned with everything else :) Good old Cinema...

CBR

Can you explain what Axis Extension / Snap is??
 That sounds sort of like 2D constraints that exists in max, which i've been looking for a way to replicate in C4D for 5 months now. Essentially you can grab any vertex, edge, or face, and lock it along an axis (or 2 axis's) and snap it to any other face, edge, or vertex (depending on your snap settings). I've sooooort of been able to get it to work sometimes with dynamic snaps, but it doesn't seem perfect. I have resorted to modeling everything using quanitizing, and it just seems crazy.