Sign in to follow this  
rushes

Modo modeling

For me Modo and C4D are two different takes totally, Modo is cluttered an technical and Cinema is cleaner and simpler. I use em both (Modo 12 and Cinema 19), but I would love to only use one, preferably Cinema.

Things that I miss in Modo:

Simplified interface

Stability

Less lag in viewport when scattering

A scattering plugin that simpler than their own.

Corona...

Things that I miss in Cinema:

A propper UV unwrapper (still hoping they buy Headys UV Layout).

Falloffs tool from Modo.

Things that I miss in both:

Max has this great plugin for creating wood panels and floor.

But this is our playing ground, we use a lot of (very expensive) software, as there is no one all mighty software that can do it all. Max is on the way, but it´s too expensive.

3DKiwi/Nigel has been modeling a lot lately in Blender, and he has a good impression of C4D, Modo, and Blender for modeling now.

He just finished the Master Car Creation course. He makes good points (and the car looks beautifully modeled!).

https://community.foundry.com/discuss/post/1155998

Blender plus commercial modeling addons is still a much less expensive proposition, of course.

I couldn't work with C4D without having Modo backing me up. The modeling, UV-ing and retopo tools are simple done in a much more artist friendly way then in C4D. I wish there would be a goModo and goC4D button that links both applications. Yet R20 improved a lot in my workflow. Still edge creasing and SubD workflow is not very good in C4D. I actually tend to use just the redshift tag to do SubD as the results on UVs are much better then with C4D's subD item.. and yeah tags are just be the better workflow, maybe someone could even convince the Redshift developers to allow a selection or vertex tag to filter SubDs. (I don't start modeling SubD in C4D)

Yet there is a lot nice stuff in C4D too. They just made the mistake to make every operation a tool. In Modo loop selection or selection in general are no tools. You would choose rectangle selection to get away from selection paint. Its just left and right mouse button, so the propose of that tool doesn't even exist in Modo. Same for loop or grow selection, its all in the basic tools. This speed up modeling a lot. Modo was first a modeler and everything else came later. Probably the reason for this. 

In order to use both application I changed a lot shortcuts and add scripts where ever needed. C4D is the last 3D I learned, after learning and using all others in production, except Blender. 

I can't say any 3d product is perfect for everything, but I really like C4D for where it excels compare to the rest.

Its more like, every tool has its market. And if I would just model, I would stop using C4D.. but its not what I do. There are reason why tools like zBrush and Mudbox exist, or else. 

Now what I would really find interesting is, how people fill the gaps of missing functions and tools when moving to another software. I mean, I still find it extremely hard to manage scenes in C4D with hundreds of select set scattered through the object browser. I don't get that concept, it messes up my scene. Ok, I found a detaching Object to material groups script. But, its terrible slow. I really don't understand why its crazy fast to convert the whole scene with thousands of object into single mesh, but take ages (in my case 30 min) to break a 500.000 poly mesh up into 50 different groups? How do you solve that?

On 7/3/2018 at 3:42 AM, Cerbera said:

Yes me too - awesome feature :) And Axis Extension / Snap - couldn't work that for years, then it suddenly clicked, and now all my stuff is perfectly aligned with everything else :) Good old Cinema...

CBR

Can you explain what Axis Extension / Snap is??
 That sounds sort of like 2D constraints that exists in max, which i've been looking for a way to replicate in C4D for 5 months now. Essentially you can grab any vertex, edge, or face, and lock it along an axis (or 2 axis's) and snap it to any other face, edge, or vertex (depending on your snap settings). I've sooooort of been able to get it to work sometimes with dynamic snaps, but it doesn't seem perfect. I have resorted to modeling everything using quanitizing, and it just seems crazy. 

7 hours ago, slowgojoe said:

Can you explain what Axis Extension / Snap is??

Yes, it's this, as explained by our eminent founder @3DKiwi. Not quite in the same league as 2D constraints unfortunately, but useful nonetheless...

CBR

To get back to something that is good about C4D, I love that you can Ctrl+drag in edge slide mode to duplicate an edge loop. And it has preserve curvature as well. I use this all the time and I couldn't find it, if it exists, in the other programs I tried.

Re that, I find in R20 using this method of clone mode in the slide tool has some strange occurences, whereby sometimes upon activation it will use a really extreme offset, like in the 100's, and it's almost impossible to rein it back in manually, so I have to then undo, click the clone option, and manually key in a figure that's more to what I was after. Thus defeating the object of the quick-key method…

After a whole year I thank every day I have to model or uv that I don’t have to use C4D for that. I use it for the rest, but the workflow in C4D is so for away from productive. 

Pardon, just my thoughts. Maybe in R21 they realize the mess and remove selection tags from being such a pain the as. Or have something like copy paste polygons.