leevandowski

Metaball and logotype animation

Hi,

I dont know if this is the right way to go with this idea that I have. Any way, here we go. My question to all of you reading this is how to do the best setup for following idea.

Imagin a floor, on the floor there is a company logotype (extruded) and out from the logotypes part that are facing the sky a lot of different random shapes comes up in a random seed and keeps flying up towards the sky. I would like the look to have a 2D cel feeling and the objects coming up from the logotype to have some kind of metaball feeling when it comes to the interaction between the logotype and the objects. The objects coming up through the surface is randomly distributed over the logotype and flys up randomly.

My first idea was to play around with the new mataball tag but it seams not to work with polygonal objects so Im stuck there. When it comes to the object I was thinking playing around with a cloner or some kind of emitter. If use a clone together with a rigid body then Im not sure how to release the objects randomly? I want the feeling that they pop up from time to time randomly over the surface and im not sure how to do that. Well, as you notice, I've got stuck, so I choose to ask you with better knowledge for some help :)

The logotype is added as a ai-file.

Best

//L

100w.ai

Edited by leevandowski

13 Studio (like it says in your profile) doesn't have the new metaball tag. Please update it to the correct version so the people trying to help you are not misled...

Metaballs do work with polygonal objects but I still think they are not a winning answer here, primarily because of the difficulty involved with trying to make them exactly match any shape predictably (in this case a logo). Even with a MB tag that is still a challenge, although of course we can't confirm its suitability or not until we can see your logotype...

I did a quick test with the collision deformer, but results were not encouraging on any logo made with a spline in an extrude. But on proper all-quad poly objects it worked much better, so that's what I'd look at instead of metaballs - can you build your logo from quad polygons ? If so, collision deformer is probably the way to go...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi Cerbera,

Thanks for your fast answer. Im not sure if Im skilled enough to build it from quad polugons. Maybe if you can hit me in a direction (tutorial or something) then I will manage it. Regarding the update from 13 Studion to 18 where can I do this update?

I included the logotype so you can have a look at it if you like.

Best regards

//L

Thanks for updating the profile, but you should be aware that 18.039 has some serious bugs in it you could fix by just updating to the latest version of R18.

Anyway, on to your shape (cheers for uploading that)... this is totally fine to use as a visual guide for modelling this properly with polygons. The bad news is that if you can't do poly modelling this will take quite some time. Unfortunately there is no 1 tutorial that will teach you everything you need to be able to make this well; rather you need a basic general understanding of the concepts of SDS modelling so you know which rules to follow, and where to place your polys for decent edge flow. Getting these skills does tend to take some months or even years to acquire to a decent level. This is quite a simple shape, but even so, there are parts of it that you would find very tricky as someone new to modelling.

If I have some spare time tomorrow I can show you the main stages...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi again,

Thanks for the tip regarding the update. I will look into that :)

Im not total new to Cinema so I will give it a try. I was surfing around for awhile and found these two tutorials that I think would be to some help.

It would be super If you would like to take a look at it if you got some time over. Really appreciate it!

https://vimeo.com/128558779

https://vimeo.com/128551926

Best

//L

That's a much better starting point, but you are aiming for evenness of polygon density so you need to go round with the knife tool adding loops to the less dense bits until they look more like the most dense bits ! Then you want to be smooth brushing to even out all the points inside the perimeter so that they have the most even distribution for collision with the spheres...

CBR