Sign in to follow this  
timopa

Transfer only Y-axis of multiple objects

Hello,
I don`t seem to get my head around this.

I want to transfer the axis of multiple objects, so that the object axis is aligned the middle of object in X and Z directions, but in Y axis it should be at the world position zero.

I know how to dot this one object at the time, but I have tens or even hundreds of objects to do.

-timopa

I don't think that's possible in one go. Our normally excellent Axis Centre tool can only work within local object space, so we can't use that to put Y at World Center. But we can use it to do the X and Z, and so first step is to select all objects, and do that. Then, once done you can close that dialogue, and just activate Axis Mode from the toolbar on the left and whilst it will look like it gives you a single axis at the center of the selected objects, it is actually affecting each axis individually, so drag down on Y (optionally using quantizing) to move them all to world center together.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi Cerbera and thank you for answer

If I understood you corretly, I have to say that it unfortunately doesn`t work. All the objects are at different height and differ in size.

So after aligning aligning of axes of objects locally (the easy part) the axis are still at different heights in world Y-cordinates, so moving them together doesn`t align them to same world Y-cordinates. And using the scale tool in axis-mode scales also the meshes.

Again I could set the axis to Y=0 in coordinates panel indiviually, but not to many objects at the same time

Yep, I concur that won't work if they are all at different scales and positions. That's a shame, because I am unaware of any other way, so it looks like you're doing them individually I'm afraid, unless anyone can jump in and think of anything I may have missed...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I quess with scripting, expresso or something similar special this could be done.

Indeed. You could iterate through the objects setting their Y axis to world 0. There are Xpresso and Python guys here for whom this should be very easy; I'm sure one of them will be along at some point...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I found a very promising python script at the plugincafe. It moves the selected objects axis to world 0,0,0.

http://www.plugincafe.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6696

I tried the first script by Lennart.

Now I still need to know how edit the script to only affect the Y cordinate and to work with multiple selected objects.