• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Clear

Reflections in mirror

Hello everyone,

I am working on a scene - it's still WIP, but as I was rendering a preview I've come across an issue I believe has something to do with render settings I currently have. I have this chrome material on razor and water drain which acts differently in the mirror above the sink and I was curious to why that might be and if anyone could help me solve this issue. I have attached render settings and mat screenshots, which I thought might be relevant.

Things I have tried: turning on reflective caustics in GI options, increasing depth reflection up to 15.

Umyvadlo_preview_002.thumb.jpg.f0b8669f2def5feb89008129b4e98dd1.jpg

Any help appriciated,

Clear

options.jpggi options.jpggi.jpgmat.jpg

I don't think that is anything to do with your settings. I suspect it is to do with the difference in form between the dead flat razor, and the nice curvy chrome things. It might just be that the angle you are viewing in the mirror doesn't give the same reflections that your angle with the actual objects does...

I would think that is enough to explain exactly what you are getting... as for how to solve it - you need to park an area light or some other highly bright and contrasty object such that it appears in the reflection - because this is dead flat, there will only be a very narrow range of possibilities as to where it can sit (in relation to where the camera is) where it will pick up that reflection and give the nice contrasty look you are getting on other chrome. Does that make sense ?

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • Oh I see what you're getting at, I'll try to do that and come back with the results! Thanks

• Topic Author
  • So I've played around with it, and as you said the possibilities are very narrow, so I've opted for darker scratched metal with more roughness that way I get similiar result in the mirror reflection. Anyway, thank you for your help @Cerbera.