Sign in to follow this  
taomation

Extrude Tool Needs Second Step ?

Hi Guys,

I believe this is my first post here. Nothing life threatening.   It just seems that when I use the EXTRUDE TOOL that I seems to need to do two steps to make it work and all the tutorials I have looked at only seem to need one.  

For instance.  I take an object like a cube, and make it editable, rotate one of the sides, hit D for the EXTRUDE TOOL and when I try to EXTRUDE it, it doesn't work, it just starts stretching the polygons in the direction that I'm pulling.

So then I go to the TOOL TAB  and hit APPLY or NEW TRANSFORMATION and then I can EXTRUDE.    I believe that when I first started using it that I didn't have to do that.  And like I said, all the videos I've seen don't show that second step.

I have tried to follow a video on  RESETTING TOOLS, but id didn't help.  I think that it was more for resetting the work space.

Like I said, not earth shattering.  I can work around it, but it doesn't seem as though this is how it is supposed to work and this program seems very stable to me, so I am sure there is something that isn't set right.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.    Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Cheers...Ian 

2 hours ago, taomation said:

I take an object like a cube, and make it editable, rotate one of the sides, hit D for the EXTRUDE TOOL and when I try to EXTRUDE it, it doesn't work, it just starts stretching the polygons in the direction that I'm pulling.

From that description I think you may be doing this wrong, and might be confusing a shortcut with the actual tool.

When you select a polygon and call the extrude command with D, you shouldn't be clicking on the gizmo, but just generally in the viewport to do the extrude. Conversely, If you are in the move tool and have a polygon selected, holding ctrl (command) and dragging the gizmo will extrude that face without calling the extrude tool at all. Both are one-stage procedures. Does that clarify anything ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hey Cerbera,

Spot on!  Thank you!  It's always the smallest of things, isn't i?  Really appreciate the guidence.  Cheers...Ian

• Namaste 1