• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Moos

Reflectance roughness and Sky Mapping

Hello all,

I'm a bit puzzled about a problem I've been having lately and hope to see if any one has a solution...

I am creating a space/earth scene and want to create an environment using a sky object. There are two textures on the sky object (Earth photo and a star field.) They environment reflects fine when I use a sphere with a high reflective material. However when I increase the roughness on the sphere material, it would only show one of the textures on the sky object as you can see in the pic (shows the far right texture tag).

5b196913d5317_ReflectionRoughness.thumb.jpg.c11bc215c3e5680c6ac9cb2f2ea5638f.jpg

I included my objects tree and how the materials are projected on the sky object in texture mode. 

5b196912b52b6_ObjectPanel.png.6d454efaacfd40147ccca1e9dff7ddb9.png

5b1969151a380_Texturemode01.thumb.png.2b7d0a62a3c66a46eee759e40c29f11a.png

5b1969168e20d_Texturemode02.thumb.png.c6fa9bd3dd901e2cba878e19006ad408.png

I've tried mixing textures but no luck. 

Moos

Anything applied to a Sky object shouldn't contain a reflectance channel at all. Only luminance or color channels should be used here.

Do that, and your problem should disappear...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Anything applied to a Sky object shouldn't contain a reflectance channel at all. Only luminance or color channels should be used here.

Do that, and your problem should disappear...

CBR

Only color channels are being used on the materials applied to the sky object. 

I'm assuming its with the tags.

It works fine when there is 0% reflectance on the sphere's material. btw the spheres are reflecting the sky object. (I used a composite tag to show only in reflection.)

Have at it.. just relink an earth photo.

Enviro Test C4D.c4d

thanks!

Ah OK, I get ya...

I've got a lengthy render on the go at the moment, so can't look 'til that's finished myself, but I am wondering if it's something to do with that 2 material setup - fairly sure the Sky Object isn't expecting that, even if you change its mapping to matching hemispheres.

So I would eliminate this from our enquiries by making a test map in photoshop that combines the 2 materials into one, then try applying that to the sky with a standard spherical projection and see if anything changes about your reflections...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Ah OK, I get ya...

I've got a lengthy render on the go at the moment, so can't look 'til that's finished myself, but I am wondering if it's something to do with that 2 material setup - fairly sure the Sky Object isn't expecting that, even if you change its mapping to matching hemispheres.

So I would eliminate this from our enquiries by making a test map in photoshop that combines the 2 materials into one, then try applying that to the sky with a standard spherical projection and see if anything changes about your reflections...

CBR

I thought about doing that. That would fix the issue since it'll be one texture.

Would still want to see if others ran into this regarding certain textures not showing.

Thanks