Allanonamon

Preparing Geometry For 3D Printing

Hello

I have a model which I am going to 3D print. I was told that the geometry of a model must have thickness before it can be 3D printed. So I have now created about 5mm of thickness in the walls of the model. 

I want to now know if there is a way I can arrange the geometry so that I can print the model as one whole object, so that there is no cavity or hollow on the inside of the model when 3D printing?

Thanks

Before you go too far down the path, if you are wanting smooth surfaces, have a look at your model with the phong tag turned off.

Once you convert to a format a 3D printer can use, such as .stl, you will lose your phong tag and the smooth surfaces with it.

When building your model in C4D, I suggest turning the phong tag off and subdividing to the level that you like as that is what you will see when it is 3D printed.

Hope that helps.

:)

16 hours ago, Allanonamon said:

Hello

I have a model which I am going to 3D print. I was told that the geometry of a model must have thickness before it can be 3D printed. So I have now created about 5mm of thickness in the walls of the model. 

I want to now know if there is a way I can arrange the geometry so that I can print the model as one whole object, so that there is no cavity or hollow on the inside of the model when 3D printing?

Thanks

As far as i'm aware, you only need wall thickness if the objects going to have a cavity inside, if you want to print it as one solid hole piece of plastic/whatever material then you don't need to add any wall thickness you just need to make sure there are no holes anywhere in your mesh and that there is no intersecting geometry, you also need to make sure it has good support structures, especially if it's solid, as to take the weight of the print, for example if you have a character, if the legs are ultra skinny  then they're likely not going support the rest of the model.

18 hours ago, deck said:

If you have access to cinevercity they have this intro to 3d printing from cinema. May be available with the free membership Im not sure on that.

Deck

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/3d_printing_workflow_with_cinema_4d

Very nice introductory videos. Was hoping to learn something new but no. Wish I knew about them 8 months ago!

I missed the cineversity vids as well. I may still check them out

as mentioned before you only need wall thickness if it is a hollow object. Any manifold (water tight) object should slice and print fine. Other things to bear in mind though are over hangs, thin parts and orientation so you get the best print possible

• Topic Author
  • Excellent, thanks for the replies.

I had seen the cinevercity video a while back but still wasn't entirly clear on how the printer would print with or without thickness. Now I know... Thanks