BLSmith

Copy all object names to individual tags

BLSmith    9

Lets say you were given a model consisting of 500 objects. Those 500 object names are part numbers, however the numbers are very hard to work with so you decide you want to rename "57286105_PRT45" to "Piston Head." However, you don't want to lose the part number information. Is there a quick way to store the original object name within that object so that it can be renamed manually? 

What I did was created a blank "To-do" tag to all 500 objects and have been manually CTRL+C/CTRL+V each individual object name to this tag. Now this is pretty tedious:

However, I'm just curious if there is a better way. Thanks all! 

Cerbera    1,898

Oh there is a better way my friend - check out the Naming tool ! (Tools menu) which should help if you want to keep the part number in the title after what you rename it for example....

See second half of this tip...

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
Clarified...

BLSmith    9
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Cerbera,

My impression of the naming tool is that if I had a bunch of objects named: 

• Alpha 57286105_PRT45
    • Alpha 57286235_PRT4
    • Alpha 57286455_PRT23
    • Alpha 57286675_PRT12
    • Alpha 57286975_PRT41

You could simply replace "Alpha" to whatever name you want, or add a prefix before "Alpha." Using the example, "Alpha 57286105_PRT45" you could add a prefix called "Piston Head" however, your object name is now: "Piston Head Alpha 57286105_PRT45". Is there any way to take the original file name, and hide it somewhere within the object so that the name is only "Piston Head." 

Cerbera    1,898
    1 minute ago, BLSmith said:

Is there any way to take the original file name, and bury it somewhere within the object so that the name is only "Piston Head." 

No, not AFAIK.

CBR

BLSmith    9
  • Topic Author
  • I had kind of hoped it would have saved it in like the "objects information" or something, or a tag that could be created that would contain the original object name within it. Understood though, I'll keep adding the original object name to a "to-do" tag. 

Thanks Cerbera!

C4DS    180

With a bit of scripting (and some knowledge of the Cinema 4D SDK) you can store whatever you want into the object, or a tag.

The only issue there is ... you need to store it in a "safe" place. Safe in the sense of "not overwritting other important information".

So, what you could do is obtain a unique plugin ID from the official MAXON plugincafe. And write the original object name into the object using the obtained plugin ID as key of a BaseContainer.

Not sure if you want to go this route, so I won't go into much detail, just mentioning this as a possible solution.