sneather

Need help with Sketch & Toon, please.

sneather    1

Please see the simple attached project file.

I'm trying to figure out a way to create a "knock-out" matte, within the S&T material environment. In my example scene, the Platonic shape has a basic wireframe-type S&T material applied. Within that shape, is a black cube. I'd like for that cube to obscure the S&T lines which fall behind it. 

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

S&T Issue.c4d

natevplas    46

I'm not sure how to do this with Sketch and Toon, but I found a work-around using a Cloner to produce the wireframe look on your Platonic.  I had to use the Correction Deformer to get access to the edges of the parametric Platonic so I could eliminate the edges that go across faces.  You can delete it and it will still work fine.

S&T Issue v2.c4d

sneather    1
  • Topic Author
  • Hey, thanks so much for taking a stab at this.

Unfortunately, this approach won't begin to solve my (real) issues when it comes to working with complex imported CAD. That's what this ultimately is for - so I can improve the efficiency of some of my client product work.

As it stands now, I tend to have to render multiple passes with S&T, just to try and approximate the effect of non S&T objects properly interacting with S&T objects.

natevplas    46

Bummer.  Yeah, that would be my workflow as well for issues like that.  Might be no way around it unfortunately.

deck    65

I have this file here which isn't a full solution or possibly not a solution at all. but in the file below the lines are appearing as blue, which obviously means they are still there, but if I were to change the blue to white, then they would effectively disappear !

Was dispointingting not to get the the box to knockout the bucky properly but maybe this may give a hint of way to go.

Deck

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 19.40.42.png

Sketch test 02.c4d

Isleofgough    25

Is this sort of what you are wanting to do? (self culling turned off, almost everything set to "project", culling object excluded from S&T and transparent). Also, as you can see, non S&T objects can live happily with S&T ones.

SketchToonCulling.c4d

SketchToonCull.jpg

• Like 1

sneather    1
  • Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

Is this sort of what you are wanting to do? (self culling turned off, almost everything set to "project", culling object excluded from S&T and transparent). Also, as you can see, non S&T objects can live happily with S&T ones.

SketchToonCulling.c4d

SketchToonCull.jpg

Oh, this shows promise! Thanks. I need to spend a few minutes, carefully looking at what you have set, to see if it really is that easily transferrable, to one of my more complex work scenes. But sure looks like it may.