Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

ejewels

Wrapping Video - Material Help

ejewels    0

Hey Everyone,

I have whats probably a dumb question/simple solution but I just can't figure it out. I am placing images and videos on the extruded surfaces of text and animating the offset for a "news ticker" effect. Basically the videos will have to move along the entire extruded surface. For now though, I'm just using the attached as an example which is only a part of a letter.

The problem I am running into is the material reaches another point in the geometry, it stretches way out and doesn't stay in proportion. Any idea whats going on? I'm using flat projection and the texture tool to align and scale everything and when I animate or adjust the offset property, the minute it hits the edge it stretches way out over the next shape instead of staying in proportion. I've seemingly tried everything!

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 3.30.30 PM.png

kittyTexture.c4d

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 3.43.27 PM.png

Cerbera    1,973

Flat projection is not suitable for this purpose if the surface you are applying to goes round a corner ! Flat projection applies to single plane only.

So you can't use that if the texture must affect any other part of the lettering except the front faces. So your choices are:

1. Restrict the material to the planar front faces using a selection tag and continue using flat mapping....

2. Use a different mapping mode like cubic. Won't stretch but also won't do a contiguous image from the front parts.

3. UV unwrap each letter manually then use texture tag offsets to control movement instead.

CBR

ejewels    0
  • Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Flat projection is not suitable for this purpose if the surface you are applying to goes round a corner ! Flat projection applies to single plane only.

So you can't use that if the texture must affect any other part of the lettering except the front faces. So your choices are:

1. Restrict the material to the planar front faces using a selection tag and continue using flat mapping....

2. Use a different mapping mode like cubic. Won't stretch but also won't do a contiguous image from the front parts.

3. UV unwrap each letter manually then use texture tag offsets to control movement instead.

CBR

Thanks CBR. Unfortunately I'm still pretty new so is there any way you can elaborate on how to do number 1 and 3? I tried cubic but like you said it isn't seamless and splits the image/video up. Also, I thought UV wraps are only good for images. But how would you apply video to UV wraps and moving them at that. I'm looking for the simplest solution here as its a rush project (of course). Thanks for the help!

Cerbera    1,973

The fastest way is 1 without doubt. It is going to be something of a pain to sort this out if the video must cover all the lettering. Must it ?

3. Yes, we can use UV mapping - we'd control the movement via the offset in the tag again... but you do need to know what you are doing to sort this out and make it seamless, and even if you do it'll still take a while as you have to do each letter individually... alas I am busy on a project this evening so can't take you through it step-by step...

CBR

Cerbera    1,973

Actually, you could try cylindrical mapping instead, on a letter-by letter basis - that would save you the headache of unwrapping it if it worked...

Again, control movement via offset.

CBR

ejewels    0
  • Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

The fastest way is 1 without doubt. It is going to be something of a pain to sort this out if the video must cover all the lettering. Must it ?

3. Yes, we can use UV mapping - we'd control the movement via the offset in the tag again... but you do need to know what you are doing to sort this out and make it seamless, and even if you do it'll still take a while as you have to do each letter individually... alas I am busy on a project this evening so can't take you through it step-by step...

CBR

Nope, I only need to project the video/images along the sides of the letters, not the faces. So just the extruded sides. And, its only one letter each... it doesn't have to continue to the other letter sides. I tried selecting all of the polygons and then applying the material, but its still doing the same thing as my original issue.

Cerbera    1,973

Oh right - I've misunderstood you there - you want it on the sides !! I shouldn't answer these things when I'm tired :)

OK, if it's on the sides - how do you want it moving ? I mean which direction ? It could go up and down, on z along the length of the extrudes, or around the shape - which one do you need ?

CBR

ejewels    0
  • Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh right - I've misunderstood you there - you want it on the sides !! I shouldn't answer these things when I'm tired :)

OK, if it's on the sides - how do you want it moving ? I mean which direction ? It could go up and down, on z along the length of the extrudes, or around the shape - which one do you need ?

CBR

Just around the shape... basically its going to be a bunch of images and videos in one long string animating along the sides of the letter

ejewels    0
  • Topic Author
  • I've done cubic like you said to try and its close... but still seemed warped. Wonder if there is a more accurate way.

kitty.zip

Cerbera    1,973

It will be warped a bit with cubic because your lettering is not cubic - it has a wide variety of angles ! But it will be considerably better than planar, because now there are 3 planes to choose from rather than 1...

So, to make a video texture go around each letter, you need to make the extrude editable, and then split it up into separate letters. To help with this don't use an extrude - use MoText instead, which has a separate letters checkbox, which will then do the right thing when you make it editable...

So, once you have a separate mesh for each letter, use loop selection U,L to select the rim polygons and drag your material onto that selection. That should create a tag, and apply the material to only that bit.

Then select the material tag, change mapping mode to cylindrical and using Texture and Axis modes, reorient the gizmo so that the rim of the cylinder flows around your letter. Use the tiling options in the tag to set the relative scale, then keyframe offset to animate the texture around the letter. Repeat for the other letters.

But if you want the texture to flow over the whole object I can't see how you can do that without distortion without UV mapping it.

CBR

ejewels    0
  • Topic Author
  • I'll give that a try. But wouldn't cylindrical make it... well cylindrical? What happens when on flat sections of the geometry?

Cerbera    1,973
    37 minutes ago, ejewels said:

I'll give that a try. But wouldn't cylindrical make it... well cylindrical? What happens when on flat sections of the geometry?

Yes and no. It's projecting from a cylinder, so without getting into a load of tedious technical detail, it should be fine, even on the flat bits :)

CBR