Cerbera    1,922
  • Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Adrien said:

I’m working on a TR909. All quad based. 

Ah, the good old 909. A friend found one recently in a car boot sale run by someone's gran and paid £5 for it before selling on ebay for £800, but that was before Roland did the modern versions so he timed it just right :)

Admirable that you are going for all quads, but topology masters would build it like it is in real life, with the top and back panels being one piece ;) In fact for me that would be the main enjoyable challenge of this piece - reusing and adapting the topology from the top into that useful for the back, and the skillful termination of extraneous loops from either side. Still I suppose if you did the split after the corner rounding the surface is flat after that then you might not see the seam in the render, in which case perhaps only the hardcore modelling purist might care about doing it as one piece...

The texturing is actually quite hard to get right - dull flat white surfaces are hardly ideal for refining a finish. If it was me I would use the likely age of such a device to my advantage, and spend a lot of texture time on realistic damage and wear. I did that on my SH-09 a while back, whereas on this JD I wanted it looking factory fresh, and its surfaces were interesting enough on their own.

Good luck, and do show us your finals !

CBR

Rectro    663

Makes me want to make a TB303 now.

Dan

Adrien    3

I split the back panel after the corner so the surface is perfectly flat and the render is seamless.

I'm not a good modeler but I'm trying to step up my game by following a strict quad-only workflow with no edge creasing via Opensubidv.  I made the back panel first and ran into edge loop termination issues to the point where I decided to split the whole thing. 

I know that purists will shout but it works just fine like this...Apart from the "purist" aspect, is there any other reason for not splitting the panel?

Thanks and congrats for the JD800. I'm blown away by the quality of your work, especially after spending so many hours on my TR909 (especially on the texturing part: I had to make the whole layout in photoshop/Illustrator...super cumbersome)

Just a side question on the little red LEDs': how did you make them pop? Did you use the Luminescence channel+glow in the render settings?

Mine look really dim and pale...

5b27187fdec0d_TR_909_MAINTAKE_0004.thumb.jpg.2ceba66f51f6b8b80094c539115e1934.jpg 

TR_909 filaire.jpg

Cerbera    1,922
  • Topic Author
  • 16 hours ago, Adrien said:

Just a side question on the little red LEDs': how did you make them pop? Did you use the Luminescence channel+glow in the render settings?

Mine look really dim and pale...

Almost. Luminance + channel glow, and fresnel shader in luminance fading between white and (in this case) orange.

Channel glow set to 250% inner glow, 0% outer glow, very low radius, and most importantly use material turned off and replaced with a slightly dark orange. I still don't like those glows vs post equivalents, but on projects like this we can pretty much get away with it, and it is less hassle than doing it in post :)

CBR