Hey Cafe

Having enjoyed modelling the last synth so much, I thought I'd do a bigger one for my own amusement. The Sh-09 was an analogue micro Monosynth released in 1980. By 10 years later the digital age had arrived, screaming synth leads got displaced by twinkly dreamy electric pianos, and everything went FM and later PWM synthesis. In 1990 Roland were answering the call for a return to the searing analogue leads and basslines, so released this, the JD-800, a veritable juggernaut of a synthstation, utilising hybrid synthesis so we had the best of both worlds - all the analogue goodness, but combined with digital clarity, and DSP.  24 note polyphony and 16 part multitimbrality made this a powerful pads machine with unprecedented levels of practical slider control over virtually every parameter.

To put you in the mood, here's the top patches from that...

Rendering-wise, there's been some challenges to this one - getting the anisotropy right took a while, and I had to make all the panel graphics, which took rather longer :) But whereas my little monosynth had been sitting in a studio gathering dust, or getting bashed about on the road, this one is new out of the box and on display in a synth museum...

Physical, Adaptive, Automatic, 5%, 3, 3.5, 3, AO. No GI. 21 mins (wide shot), 32 mins (close shot).

SDS throughout, 100% quads

JD-800-A.thumb.jpg.926816818991b2498eea8a4aec68498d.jpg

JD-800-B.thumb.jpg.7df27e1cb9871d0e19765fc1de2303f8.jpg

5b22113fd62d1_Wire1.thumb.PNG.f3c6cb13a6d0f89f201691fd1912957b.PNG

5b2211553a3ab_Wire2.thumb.PNG.c2dea4e799f9ecb360b80f70833ae6e3.PNG

5b2211699394d_Wire3.thumb.PNG.ec27c7c0a69731af64be48aaa83fe8c0.PNG

CBR

• Like 3

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Were there any modelling challenges for you, or was it completely straightforward in that regard?

Not really - the panel-based construction meant I could run edge loops pretty much wherever I wanted, so was never struggling to terminate them.

The only challenging bit was keeping the angled panels fully planar at those angles when these are so densely packed with control loops. 

Oh, and making that dot matrix LCD display, which I did one dot at a time in PS, having decided that 40 odd shader effectors and cloners (1 per unique character) wasn't worth the effort...

CBR 

Awesome modelling, and rendering.  And Im a synth man myself, when I was younger I remember wanting that synth so bad.  I saw it on top of the pop when Erasure used in on the track I love Saturday, I recorded it on my VHS video and watched it over and over again, I was obsessed with that synth.

Great work man.

Dan

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, Rectro said:

And Im a synth man myself, when I was younger I remember wanting that synth so bad. 

Lols :) Ditto over here. I used to spend every Saturday in the local music shop when that first came out.

If you are a synth man you might enjoy what I'm doing next - the new and properly space-age successor to this one, the JD-XA !

CBR

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lols :) Ditto over here. I used to spend every Saturday in the local music shop when that first came out.

CBR

Same, I spent hours playing on one after the other dreaming of having one of my own.  Over to Eastbourne Bonners, 10 years later to get my first synth, still have it too.  They where the days, loved hardware, now Im using a Novation SL  MkII master keyboard, and all soft synths, not as if Im very active these days.  Do you still produce, play?

Modelling wise I did a synth some time ago not nearly as complex as this one, but same modelling methods.  Access Virus Polar.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Rectro said:

Do you still produce, play?

3D has pretty much taken over all my production focus these days, but I too went all softsynths before it took over :) Omnisphere will always have a special place in my heart. But I still do my other job, musical functioneering, where I get to play my Yamaha S90 XS and Nord Electro...

CBR

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

3D has pretty much taken over all my production focus these days, but I too went all softsynths before it took over :) Omnisphere will always have a special place in my heart. But I still do my other job, musical functioneering, where I get to play my Yamaha S90 XS and Nord Electro...

CBR

Omnisphere 2 is my best synth, such a rich sound, nothing like it.  The new upgrade coming soon is awesome in how they utilise hardware synths.  Check out some time.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Yeah it sounds SO deep and clear and ultra-hifi.

Adagio Espressivo all the way :) 

CBR

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, EAlexander said:

Nerds!

(beautiful model tho...)

No....not nerds.    Given that that they are both 3D artists and musicians is pretty interesting.  Both require a mathematics (music is very mathematical), a sense for order, etc.  Those are left brain characteristics.  To create what they do obviously comes from the right side of the brain.  They are not nerds but whole brain thinkers. 

A real nerd reaction is the one I had:  I looked at the mesh, saw the logic of it, and then honestly thought it reminded me of an empty Excel spreadsheet! 

Now that is nerdy.

But I will agree it is another beautiful model.

Dave

• Like 1
    • Haha 2

I’m working on a TR909. All quad based. 

Here is my work in progress. Not satisfied with texturing yet. 

I had to detach the rear panel to keep the topoly manageable. Hope it is still acceptable. :) 

E68F0D97-0C6D-424F-82C7-09312CC396EA.jpeg

5DBF82E7-C250-4771-8488-A90E1A3C1B64.jpeg

45395630-D44E-46C2-8EFC-4313AC35A2E0.jpeg