Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

natevplas    57

You've probably all seen the plugin Newton by Motion Boutique on aescripts.com.  If not, check it out: https://aescripts.com/newton/

Any recommendations for how to best recreate 2D dynamics in C4D?  I know you can just create a thin cube that encapsulates all the objects, but I've had issues in the past with this workflow, where objects will jitter around inside there or try to sneak past each other.

Ultimately what I want to make is simple- some circles of various colors and sizes, some with text on them, floating around like bubbles and bouncing into each other, then all flowing along a path.  The key is to keep them from overlapping each other since it's a 2D style.  Also the text needs to stay upright and not rotate.

Cerbera    1,976

I'd ask this in next week's Ask GSG - Chris Schmidt would be all over that, but I bet he'd try the constraining cubes first :)

CBR

• Like 1

natevplas    57
  • Topic Author
  • Good idea!  I usually miss those when they're live, but I might try!

jed    324

This is a problem I tinker with now and then. If you give each object a planar connector, this keeps them in one plane and upright. The trouble with dynamic bounce is that stuff either dies away or if you crank it up, you get crazy runaway/explosion. In this file I've measured the speed and used that to switch bounce lo or hi. It kind of works.

bubbles.c4d

I'll be interested to see if you solve this.

• Like 1

natevplas    57
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks, @jed!  I will play around with this idea for sure!

Fastbee    83

How about something like this?

Basically it uses the default gravity to keep the things on the plane and particle gravity as a second gravity which moves the things as they would with a single 2d gravity source.  Attach whatever you like to the position of the objects and or use Sketch and Toon for making it look 2d.

2d dynamics.zip

• Like 1

natevplas    57
  • Topic Author
  • Interesting take as well, @Fastbee!  The only problem I foresee is that I need various sizes of circles to interact together.  When they're spheres, this becomes problematic because the small ones can get "under" the big ones and start to overlap.  I'll probably have to use cylinders with 0 friction.

One thing I'm also trying to figure out: I want the circles to always have a little bit of space between them.  I know you can set the "Size Increment" in the dynamics tag, but they feel very hard when they hit each other.  I'd like there to be a little more soft spring when they hit, but not deform the circle like a soft body would.  Ideas?

I have XP3.5 as well if someone has ideas for using that.

jed    324
    9 hours ago, natevplas said:

I want the circles to always have a little bit of space between them.

What about hidden dynamic objects with visible, slightly smaller, child objects.

Fastbee    83
    On 6/15/2018 at 8:53 AM, natevplas said:

Interesting take as well, @Fastbee!  The only problem I foresee is that I need various sizes of circles to interact together.  When they're spheres, this becomes problematic because the small ones can get "under" the big ones and start to overlap.  I'll probably have to use cylinders with 0 friction.

One thing I'm also trying to figure out: I want the circles to always have a little bit of space between them.  I know you can set the "Size Increment" in the dynamics tag, but they feel very hard when they hit each other.  I'd like there to be a little more soft spring when they hit, but not deform the circle like a soft body would.  Ideas?

I have XP3.5 as well if someone has ideas for using that.

As you say cylinders with zero friction should fix the overlap problem if you would like circles of different sizes.

For a space between them either the size increment could be used or have the dynamic object hidden and a child object smaller than that object visible.  If the size increment is used check "Use" box under it and set Margin to something like 1cm for predictable physics without having to up the physics steps per frame.  After that the Bounce should be able to be used to determine how much they bounce.  The bounce is on both objects being calculated and it's important to change it on both to get good bounces.

natevplas    57
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks @jed and @Fastbee for continuing to think on this.  Let me clarify.  The Size Increment settings are working fine for keeping some space between circles, and the bounciness isn't a problem either.  What I'm trying to go for is more of a "force field" effect around them with some falloff.  So, if two circles hit each other with some force, they could touch before bouncing away, but they want to be a little spaced out.  

Fortunately, I think I found a good solution!  Similar to Fastbee's idea, I made a visible cylinder and a slightly larger, invisible cylinder.  I used a Constrain Tag to connect the smaller one to the larger one, and added my dynamics tag to the bigger one.  Then I added a Jiggle to the smaller and voila!  Bouncy margins!

Check out the project if you're curious.  It's a lot of fun to play with :)

2d dynamics v2.c4d

jed    324

I'm not sure the jiggles are doing anything. The psr constraints show a small lag that looks like springiness as the inner follows the outer, but that disappears when baked. Maybe try a spring constraint ?

I could be wrong ...

natevplas    57
  • Topic Author
  • Hmm, they're definitely working for me.  Yes, there is a lag (know how to get rid of that by chance?), but the Jiggle definitely does something.  Select all the Jiggles and crank the Strength up to 100 and you should see something.  But I did not remember that you can do a very similar effect with the Spring constraint!  That simplifies things a bit in the Object Manager.  However, I'm running into refresh and lag issues when playing through the animation.  If I play through to a certain point, then pause and return to the first frame with the "Go to Start" arrow, the small cylinders don't update to their original positions right in the center of the big cylinders.  Then when I hit play, the try to jump back over to their "parent."  Can someone look at my file and see if there's a fix?

2d dynamics v3.c4d