Sign in to follow this  
sneather

Alphas Not Being Anti-Aliased...?

I'm using R19, and trying to get some clean test renders using the updated Hardware OpenGL render options.

I'm utilizing the full 8 for AA, and as much as 5x5 Supersampling. The interior shapes and edges of my objects look nice. However, no matter what I try, I seem to be getting no AA on the edges of my alphas. It's also a little hard to know what else may be going on, because the render encoding options have changed since R17 (my prior version) - and it seems like they have stripped away tons of options for file-format. Example: When I render to my usual ProRes 4444 for preview purposes, with a straight+ alpha, Cinema STILL renders a separate alpha! Odd. It never did such with R17 or prior.

Can anyone suggest what I might want to look at in order to solve these issues?

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, sneather said:

Can anyone suggest what I might want to look at in order to solve these issues?

I suspect that alphas are simply not aliased in the current implementation of R19's Open GL, and if that is the case there won't be anything you can do except not use alphas in Open GL renders ! :/ The viewport improvements in R19, whilst most welcome, are perhaps not fully comprehensive yet - there are 'rumours' about R20 improving this area, so maybe alpha AA is in the list ?

R19 still has some problems with rendering unwanted passes - that is certainly the case when using multipass, but this is the first time I have heard of it doing so with alpha. Again, guessing there is not much we can actually do about that until MAXON fix it.

CBR

Can you post some example? I play with trees/flowers (where alpha is quite intensively used) and Hardware OpenGl renders looks quite nice.

• Topic Author
  • Let me see about posting a modified project file. Right now, it's all client product CAD, so I need to strip that out first.

• Topic Author
  • Here's a very simple iteration of my project, with the output settings left, as-is.

Thanks!

AA Render Issue.c4d.zip