I have created a female character for a series of pin up illustrations.

Hope with its little censor rectangles it passes the "no nudity" mark. Erm.

Physical render, R18.

Comments, critique and hints for improvement welcome!

pvlow01.jpg

Hi

I can tell you have spent some time on this, its not easy more so if you had modeled the girl from scratch.  Here are observations that struck me right away.

1: Deformation of the wrist , upper arm and shoulder could do with some attention anatomically.

2: Here eyes are the windows to the sole, yet Im not being drawn to them.  If your going for realistic then go all the way, if your going for stylised then open them up, add some lush lashes, and a nice spec highlight.

3:  Hair seems to have no flow in a artistic sense, is the glass static or is it tipping over, if the later then use the hair, and liquid to enhance this.

4: If she has fallen into the glass then she needs to look like she is having fun as she is plummeting into it.  The liquid indicates she is in the moment of plummeting into the glass, yet her pose and body language indicates she is quite relaxed and settled, so maybe a over spill would fit better.

5: The camera angle is leaving the image feeling flat  not enough depth, trying pushing the angle of view to get  more dramatic look.

The scene is made up from many elements, each of which needs to play its role in physics, composure, and drama.  If you emphasise on flow, rhythm, and get the viewer to look at what you want to be the focal point then the image will pop more. Dramatic lighting,, spec on the rims, in the eyes, stronger hair highlights, more flow in the hair.  Lucky that the girl in the glass is a popular art concept so there are plenty to get some more inspiration from.

Good luck.  

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thank you very much - that was really helpful!

Here's the new one...

illu11lo2b.jpg

Thats significantly better.  Think of the silhouette.  You want to show the long legs, but at that angle they are foreshortened.  Now if the glass was rotated so you could see the length of her legs then her head would turn to the camera.  I know it takes ages to do even a minor tweak as its post work all over again especially if you didnt use composite layers which would save huge amounts of time in post.  From what you done she looks much better, but maybe as a excersize try turning that glass thinking of the silhouette, turn her head toward the camera after. 

The arm thats in the air, try bending it a little in order to try and avoid straight lines.  Another way to avoid straight lines is to push the forms to create a contrapposto dynamic effect, from memory its called Line of action,  Its what dysney artist do for their characters, again it produces a better silhouette.  Although I never got around to implementing it in my work as I didnt do much dynamic work, I did a master class with Zack Petroc on this subject, Il dig in my study notes if you like to give you a more clear cut on what I mentioned above.  If you can imagine turning the whole glass and character black, and background white, would that black area show you what you wanted? In other words if you where to print out a silhouette version and show it to others would you get the instant words from them such as sexy, girl, fun, young, dynamic.

Dan

looking good so far. second one is much better, but i agree with everything dan said. also in both shots her right leg looks disconnected, as if it didn't really belong to her body. the effect is even stronger in the second one.

good job. i like the witch a lot, the pose of the girl on the car looks a bit unnatural to me though. especially the legs and feet. i'd try and straighten one of the legs, probably the left one. also i'm missing some more defined contact shadow under her butt. and the pants should deform in a different way where the thumbs go in. the fabric between the thumbs would form a straight stretched line instead of bulging outwards. the hair could benefit from having some more length variation.

• Topic Author
  • That was very helpful, thank you very much. The new version is definately an improvement.

illu01.jpg

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • And from cars to dragons... I want to show a broad range in this series to gauge the customer's taste. Dragon's from turbosquid.

The braids were more of a hassle than expected. Found a tutorial though with complex formulas like ((t+4/3)*2*pi). Back to school, it felt like.

test03.jpg

• Like 1

Okay...I'll ask....  Why is everyone topless?  I mean, I get pinups, and I have no issue with sexy, but it seems to get in the way of the storytelling and doesn't really enhance the images.  Falling into champagne - I get it.  Fighting dragons in the snow...not so much.

I suggest you work on your skin shaders.  They look a bit plastic - especially this last one with the dragon - she is pink.  I think you should also study composition and photography principles for framing shots.  I think you can get more dynamic framing and poses that will enhance the images beyond the 3D work.