So I started another character that I have no idea what to do with. It was n my head  a couple months and I finally got it into C4D. Tweaking and rigging will be next. I have a good idea how he can move around. not sure if he should have cloths or accessories, I'll have to work that out before I started rigging. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 17.46.36.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 17.51.08.png

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Some updates:

fur improvement and added some black hair to the tail

smaller with larger pupils

working on his expressions now before doing the joints and weighing. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 14.33.06.png

is the wire frame we are seeing within an sds object or is that the real poly count you're dealing with? you might want to look at his proportions again. especially the hip area looks a bit weird. if i'm not sure about the proportions of a character i tend to apply an ffd to it and play around with it until it looks right. also the eye sockets seem weird bulging out that much. and i think you should take the time to uv unwrap him and not be lazy and rely on polygon selections for the colouring. ;) last note: the white colouring down the legs is wrong, it should go from the cheeks and chin down the belly and to the underside of the tail, keep the legs all brown.

• Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, everfresh said:

is the wire frame we are seeing within an sds object or is that the real poly count you're dealing with? you might want to look at his proportions again. especially the hip area looks a bit weird. if i'm not sure about the proportions of a character i tend to apply an ffd to it and play around with it until it looks right. also the eye sockets seem weird bulging out that much. and i think you should take the time to uv unwrap him and not be lazy and rely on polygon selections for the colouring. ;) last note: the white colouring down the legs is wrong, it should go from the cheeks and chin down the belly and to the underside of the tail, keep the legs all brown.

I didn't think to use the fed to play with the modelling, might try that out.  The white colouring is not wrong, weasels have all sorts of patterns and configurations I discovered while researching them.  Am I being lazy but not unwrapping him?  Yes, that and my total incompetence with Bodypaint but you might have pushed me into giving it another shot! The arms were made separately and aded on, which is why the wire frame is the real poly count as they needed to match for me to attach them. That and the higher poly count seems to help the fur look better to me. 

remember the squirrel i once did where you stated that this was probably the best fur you've ever seen in c4d? this was on super low poly geometry ;) so the look of the hair really doesn't have anything to do with poly count. also if you go all the way and unwrap him, you have much more control over the hair by makin separate maps for density, length, thickness and colour... don't be afraid of it, you can uv unwrap a character in c4d within a couple of minutes, the tools are not as bad as everyone says. ;)

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, everfresh said:

remember the squirrel i once did where you stated that this was probably the best fur you've ever seen in c4d? this was on super low poly geometry ;) so the look of the hair really doesn't have anything to do with poly count. also if you go all the way and unwrap him, you have much more control over the hair by makin separate maps for density, length, thickness and colour... don't be afraid of it, you can uv unwrap a character in c4d within a couple of minutes, the tools are not as bad as everyone says. ;)

I tried using bodypaint again and after a couple hours just gave up. I can't even get the basics... this after buying Kiwi's course and tons of videos... I am missing some thing basic on my understanding of it. I have used it to do really minor stuff on the past, terrible done stuff I should add! I am actually pretty happy with this. meaning it came out better than I hoped considering my modelling limitations. What I should do is make a small project JUST to learn bodypaint over again from scratch. I even spend a small fortune on 3D Coat awhile back to help with the unwrapping and that wasn't enough to get me to the next step! 

hmm.... i think the main thing people are struggling with is what needs to be active when you do things, what you can do when you're in uv-poly mode opposed to regular poly mode. but again, once you manage to wrap your head around it is pretty simple...

btw, here's an example of a more complex hand that transitions into a low poly arm, so don't let the poly count needed for a hand dictate the density for the whole character. 

https://gyazo.com/a5f28822992f458926a56980e60e0981

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, everfresh said:

hmm.... i think the main thing people are struggling with is what needs to be active when you do things, what you can do when you're in uv-poly mode opposed to regular poly mode. but again, once you manage to wrap your head around it is pretty simple...

btw, here's an example of a more complex hand that transitions into a low poly arm, so don't let the poly count needed for a hand dictate the density for the whole character. 

https://gyazo.com/a5f28822992f458926a56980e60e0981

That example is my dream of being able to model well, I really am an animator trying to do it all and just advancing very very slowly. I have always thought if I could just get myself to understand bodypaint I could advance to a new level with my stuff. 

• Topic Author
  • On more update as it's working and ready for... I have no idea.  Something.  Now to put some time aside to try bodypaint again and see if I'm less dumb about it this time out! 

weasel test shot.png

• Topic Author
  • On 2018-07-05 at 2:33 PM, everfresh said:

Cannot say I found it any simpler but I was inspired (shamed - LOL) into trying a little bodypaint to soften the texture transitions. I used 3D coat to unwrap and did get pretty far with learning some new stuff. SO thanks Everfresh for pushing me1 

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 16.20.30.png

• Like 1