Igor

MAXON brings new CEO on board! New Future!!

13 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Good times ahead, brace yourself for R20 ;)

~OOOooo! So can the rumours possibly be true? Is R20 the 'big one' we've all been waiting so long for?

I was a little concerned over the 'Adobe Relationship' of the new CEO as well. Not a great fan of the Adobe business model and how their software is fragmented. The last thing I would want is for C4D to become more Adobe

2 hours ago, SKaiser said:

I was a little concerned over the 'Adobe Relationship' of the new CEO as well. Not a great fan of the Adobe business model and how their software is fragmented. The last thing I would want is for C4D to become more Adobe

There are no changes to MAXON business model that I am aware off. I think it is safe to assume that company will keep it's competitive strengths in that regard.

As far as R20 is concerned, I am simply excited since release date is getting closer and a lot of hard work went into it :)

btw David (new CEO) just told me that he is more than willing to participate on Cafe, however given that he has to settle into his new position that will probably happen with some delay :)

I would also like to remind members that a lot off MAXON staff are members on Cafe, but they tend to keep low profile due to current company policy.

• Like 3
  • Namaste 1

The Paul Babb interview crystalized a few things for me about C4D: It actually changed a few of my negative criticisms about the software.   Were I was always unhappy about the pace of new features, Paul's interview pointed out that they focused on logical implementation and stability more so than just having the shiny new feature set.  Until he pointed that out, I realized that is probably the main reason why I love the program: everything works as expected, the UI follows a consistent logic, is easy to learn and the program is damn stable.

So with that said, here is my hope with the new leadership AND the new core:

1. MAXON holds on to its core values relative to software quality.
  2. The new core allows for a faster pace of implementation without risk to its reputation for software quality.
  3. The faster pace of implementation allows MAXON to become even more of a serious competitor in ALL DCC areas and not just motion graphics.
  4. Continued success allows MAXON to become more open and transparent
  5. MAXON continues to fairly evaluate the value and cost of the C4D relative to the competition.  Whatever your feelings are about the value of the software, remember that MAXON did not raise MSA prices for 10 years.  I am sure that past decisions not to raise prices was based on some internal discussions about their competitive position in the marketplace.  
  6. David McGavran recognizes the differences between Adobe and MAXON cultures and reputation in the marketplace.   My hope is that he fully understands the value of MAXON's reputation especially relative to user support (eg Cineversity), fully recognizes what  needs to be protected, seriously and carefully evaluates if anything needs to be changed and does so from a MAXON rather than Adobe perspective.    No quick decisions here please.   I also hope that in this respect, he needs to listen to and take guidance from Paul Babb.  The example post he made on the Adobe forums that was posted in this thread is very encouraging relative to his commitment to the users so I remain hopeful.
  7. My final hope is that David McGavran recognizes that the users are watching and nervous about Adobe's pricing and support models being implemented at MAXON.  Hopefully, the user storm created when Adobe went to a subscription model was something he did NOT enjoy because it will NOT be any less intense should it happen with C4D.   Honestly, some of the stuff written about Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) was pretty nasty.  Hopefully that entire experience stuck with him and will shape his position on pricing at MAXON.

Now when you break this all down, I understand that every CEO will be putting his own stamp on the company.  That is to be expected and he was hired based on how he wants to carry MAXON forward into the future.  I just hope that stamp looks backward at MAXON's history, culture and legacy as much as it is looking forward.

Dave

• Like 1

I would certainly do a longer post if I weren't on cellphone, but in short :)

- MAXON is not for sale

- C4D will not be subscription only

@3D-Pangel

You have put good effort in your post, trust me, MAXON is very careful, strategic and considerate. There will be absolutely no hasty decisions.

12 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

I would certainly do a longer post if I weren't on cellphone, but in short :)

- MAXON is not for sale

- C4D will not be subscription only

@3D-Pangel

You have put good effort in your post, trust me, MAXON is very careful, strategic and considerate. There will be absolutely no hasty decisions.

My 8th hope is that you weren't reading my long winded posts on your cell phone while driving!!!!

• Haha 4

One thing I see is that Nametschek holds a LOT of software that C4d fits perfectly into. Engineering and Architecture software with TONS of outlets that C4d can fit right in and give it a level standing ground like Autodesk. I am being the optimist on this one............but I was also optimistic with Adobe too......and they broke my heart (SCREW YOU Adobe for taking away The Red Door pub in Freemont!)

A really lovely blog post from the founders here, which also seems to confirm further that R20 is something special.

https://www.MAXON.net/en/news/MAXON-blog/article/thanks/

And on reflection it feels like McGavran may very well be a great choice as CEO. He’s an industry veteran with 20 years experience in motion graphics, who is widely trusted and connected to the broadcast industry internationally, and he can now go and sell the merits of C4D to those two decades of industry friends and connections. There are probably a ton of production houses that will have an open door and be happy to talk  with him.

• Like 2

Here's a five minute clip of MAXON's new CEO, David McGavran, at the WWDC conference a few years back, showing off Illustrator and After Effects stuff. He seems like a smart bloke. The very scripted Apple stage isn't really the place for laughs so I'll be curious to see him speaking personally and honestly about C4D when he gets the chance.

• Like 1

Suddenly very optimistic about the new release and what the future holds for MAXON. 

It's possible that like many of us, McGavran is also not a fan of Adobe's pricing structure.  Just because he worked with Adobe doesn't mean he wants to turn MAXON into Adobe (I mean, he did  leave that company...) 

I like that the new CEO is willing to participate  on Cafe - he'll be seeing customer opinions, wants, feedback at ground level to incorporate into future releases, and company direction.

• Like 1

I just hope when/if McGavran does start participating in the forums and people do not get the things THEY WANT in an upgrade they do not go flaming him for it which could cause him to not participate in forums. I've seen how ugly things can get on these forums when a release is weak or they didn't get the feature they wanted.

I am pretty sure that most of people will have less and less to ask for ;)

Let's first wait for R20 and for him to settle in. Taking over whole company is surely extremely challenging by itself, so it will take David some time to join the talks here but he expressed the wish to do so and is not a stranger to forums. I am also highly confident that Cafe members will appreciate a "direct line" to CEO because this is quite rare practice for high ranking officials (in any company) and that we will stay polite and respectful as always.

Good times ahead!

• Like 5