Igor

MAXON brings new CEO on board! New Future!!

I am still not very capable C4D user but trying to learn constantly and that was my software of choice. I use Adobe Products but I am not imagining and I see decrease in performance in After Effects. AE 2018 if compared in speeds with AE2014 is three times slower in very simple things. Something went down and many users pushed the topic about this. To me it looks suicidal your 4 years old software to be performing better than your current software. Many people try to defend this on the "system" strength but I assure you it is something in their new ways of doing things. Back in 2014 I was able to do things with hardware from that time. Now I have superior workstation and it is annoying to wait AE 2018 to render simple animations. Learning Fusion now, let's see what will happen with Cinema 4D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gowcoizer said:

Learning Fusion now, let's see what will happen with Cinema 4D

One of the reasons for rewriting the core was to allow much quicker object handling / viewport speed. Expect to see major improvements in C4D's ability to handle lot of of objects, particles etc.

Looking forward to see this new R20. The 3D market needs C4D to step up even more. And I hope maybe MAXON would consider some sort of Indie license (similar to what SideFx did) so that potential users that aren’t students anymore could still learn the software in an affordable way. 

They need to consider this as the Blender market is growing rapidly. Most of the concept artists that I follow are now on the switch to Blender. More will came after 2.8. 

1 hour ago, MauricioPC said:

Looking forward to see this new R20. The 3D market needs C4D to step up even more. And I hope maybe MAXON would consider some sort of Indie license (similar to what SideFx did) so that potential users that aren’t students anymore could still learn the software in an affordable way. 

They need to consider this as the Blender market is growing rapidly. Most of the concept artists that I follow are now on the switch to Blender. More will came after 2.8. 

I think Blender definitely becomes a competitor in some areas. It's free and it tries to fit in into the ecosystem of Autodesk somehow with reasonable interfaces. If something new is needed/wanted by the community, they can probably add it, as it is Open Source.

New features can be added to Cinema 4D as well by plugins, but in order to provide complex plugins without too much workarounds a more open and flexible SDK is needed (e.g. for 3rd party render engines) and finally a node based material system as well. This can be based on classes, where methods can be implemented differently based on the render engine.

I really hope that R20 provides the leap forward with a new flexible, future-proof and modular core. So R21 is only bringing in new features.

This will further increase the number of licensees, income and money to spend for even more features.

I hope to see MAXON start to implement some of the plugins that have been needed up till this point, as its not just the extra cost of them plugins, but its the yearly maintenance that all adds up on top of the MSA.

Dan

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 12:38 PM, Visionnext said:

I really hope that R20 provides the leap forward with a new flexible, future-proof and modular core.

There were already hints in blog post and on forums (including Cafe) that R20 will be very interesting release.

Release is not far away and Siggraph is closing in. Personally, I am very excited :)

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I am super excited about the new Cinema 4D R20. :) There will be lots of happy folks... :compEnjoy:

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Igor said:

I am super excited about the new Cinema 4D R20. :) There will be lots of happy folks... :compEnjoy:

If it's the big one that we hope and expect it to be I may just buy the Prime version. I could then use both Modo and C4D. Ironically at the moment I'm doing a Blender hard surface and robot modelling course and learning Blender although I may use Modo instead for the Robot part of the course. I'm using Bforartists rather than the regular Blender.

• Like 5

Thing I'd like the most is an UV update to bring C4D at least in line with the rest, because honestly it's way behind everything else in that department.

Modelling updates and maybe finally fluid simulation would be good too.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm hoping R20 brings the long awaited core update we've all been waiting for. I know we've got bits and pieces of it with Voronoi fracture, but hoping the new core gives us a more responsive viewport with more objects in the scene.

It would also be nice if we didn't have to worry about priority anymore. :wackywink: Dealing with laggy animations can be frustrating.

Improved boolean operations yielding better topology would also be lovely.

Last, and certainly not least, as others have said... we really need an updated UV toolset.

I'd be very surprised if all this came with R20, but if it did, I'd be in heaven :geek:

1 hour ago, mrittman said:

Yeah I'm hoping R20 brings the long awaited core update we've all been waiting for. I know we've got bits and pieces of it with Voronoi fracture, but hoping the new core gives us a more responsive viewport with more objects in the scene.

It would also be nice if we didn't have to worry about priority anymore. :wackywink: Dealing with laggy animations can be frustrating.

Improved boolean operations yielding better topology would also be lovely.

Last, and certainly not least, as others have said... we really need an updated UV toolset.

I'd be very surprised if all this came with R20, but if it did, I'd be in heaven :geek:

I think if r20 for the most part got some serious core speed ups, then its something that everyone will benefit from.  Im with you on the priorities and lagging animation.  Because C4D is a work horse, and is so diverse in its application its without doubt that not everyone will get what they want from a single update.  The more a user invests into plugins, then less likely MAXON can deliver on features that will exceed, or even meet a dedicated plugin or application.  Im one of these users that stands to pay the highest price to keep C4D going, while gaining the least as Im into character work, and have a set of plugins or apps thats replaced the render engine, Uv editing and sculpting.  Being iv seen nothing that matches Vray, or Arnold outside the realms of hard surface objects, or speed I cant see Pro Render ever being used by me as of yet iv seen nothing that impresses me from it from other applications that use it.  View port enhancements Im all for that, id like to see much better hair visualisation in the view port for instance.

This could well be my last year of updates so it would be good to finish on a high, thats if I can even afford this year.

Dan

• Like 4