Igor

MAXON brings new CEO on board! New Future!!

Sorry for @HSrdelic  and @Igor  for what has just happened to your country in the World Cup final match. Four years ago @3DKiwi would support Germany as MAXON is a German company (He said so). And it seems that was the last time 3Dkiwi's Titanic ever saw the day light as he was later "foundry" drowned into Middle Earth's "Mordor" sea.

But hey, we haven't lost the ring. The Sequel is coming. Cinema 4D R20. The Return of the King!!

Hoping to see 3DKiwi back to Studio through the Prime backdoor. Nigel we want your epic review of the release Back for Good and Take That seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Unfortunately we lost but Silver medal is great result - I watched the game too although I am not really a football fan :)

If Nigel opts to do a R20 review he is always welcome to do so. Siggraph is getting closer, not sure if some official info will be released, but I hope so!

• Like 2

On 7/15/2018 at 1:24 AM, MauricioPC said:

Yeah, but Max is a powerhouse. Why did you change? You work is very good and you could probably live as a freelancer. So why change Max to C4D?

Hey buddy, well i cant do stuff in max with same ease as in c4d (actually some of em not at all eg massive object manipulations like cloners etc).
In c4d life is simple : stuff just work out of the box, doesnt crash unreasonably 10 times per day, lets u experiment on stuff rather than plain execute, is really artist friendly overall. and its also much more common used in my line of work which is mainly motion design. Also cause i just love octane implementation in there and xparticles/tfd. Plus no real features from version to version in 3ds max. Last but not least, awesome community and tones of resources!!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 1:05 PM, RLaskey said:

Hoping to see 3DKiwi back to Studio through the Prime backdoor. Nigel we want your epic review of the release Back for Good and Take That seriously.

Nigel could always download the demo and give a review . . .   hint hint hint 

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold your breathe for a R20 review from me. But hey, anything's possible. 

Things are looking up for MAXON going by the Day 1 blog post from the new CEO. One of my criticism's of MAXON was communication with their customers so it's very good to see something from the person at the top.

• Like 5

Personally I would feel better if they got a CEO with less experience juicing their customers for every dime.  They should have taken who they thought was the best person already in their employment and made them CEO or one of the three founders has to have a kid, grandchild, cousin, friend that truly loves C4D and wants to make it better.  There really are so many choices for CEO better than this guy from Adobe it really turns my stomach.

Here is another way to think of it.  First they make a C4D for Adobe, now get an Adobe CEO that has been at Adobe for 20 years, next part is easy to see.   I was considering getting R20, but even if it is the big one I hesitate to pay the MSA with the path they seem to be going down.

• Like 1

I dunno, to be honest, I think McGavran may turn out to be a good, lucky pick.

McGavran was never a CEO at Adobe, so I don't believe he was responsible for Adobe's decision to go subscription based. McGavran was in charge of software engineering. His LinkedIn page and IMDB profile show technical responsibilities and development of software. His comments (I've found more) on Adobe forums give friendly, nitty gritty answers to software questions. His blog showed him travelling overseas to chat with customers and ask them questions. None of these things are bad things at all.

He was also at Adobe for 20 years. Creative Cloud came out 5 years ago. So, McGavran spent 75% of his career with a company that was not restricted to subscription-only licensing, and has now left it for another company that is not restricted to subscription-only licensing. I don't see a reason why he'd be that wedded to the concept for C4D.

Some people think this is a Trojan horse effort to subvert C4D by sending him in to do Adobe's bidding. I don't really get that. If he and everyone else involved were that keen to pass C4D on to Adobe for Adobe to make use of it, McGavran may as well just have stayed at Adobe, and Nemetschek could have just sold the whole thing to them. They haven't done that, and having an Adobe guy come, newly take over as CEO, meet the whole team, take over responsibilities and then after that somehow drag everything back into the Adobe building seems like a very complicated way of going about things. 

Not to mention if you've finally been made the CEO of a company like C4D - a pretty cool thing -  do you really want to just do all that just to sneakily satisfy some higher-up boss at the company you worked at previously? It can be just as likely McGavran thought being the CEO of C4D was a great, suitable and exciting opportunity, and the MAXON founders thought he'd be a good pick.

As for how it happened - my guess - McGavran, in charge of engineering for Adobe's video products, dealt with MAXON when Cineware was being implemented into After Effects. I'm assuming things went positively. McGavran's bio mentions that from 2003 - 2009 he was also working with Adobe developers based in 'Heidelberg Area, Germany', and spent several years working in the country. So you have a respected guy who has been in charge of software development, who has happily worked in Germany in a similar role for several years, who folks at MAXON have had a positive experience working with in the past, and the MAXON founders perhaps want to showcase their recent years of hard work with a new guy who will hit the ground running and won't be shy about doing everything he thinks is best for the software. Things could be much worse, and there's probably a ton of stuff unknown to us that made the key folk at MAXON and Nemetschek think, yep, this is the guy for us. I think give him a chance - this feels like it will be a year for a lot of good new things.

• Like 5

Thanks BoganTW for doing research on McGavran.  I feel better knowing he was never a CEO.  Still I can't help but think C4D was already secretly sold to Adobe.  Their surveys said C4D would loose their whole customer base if they knew it was sold to Adobe so they are doing a slow transition to make people feel Adobe is their friend.  Next step might be to give people a reduced price for C4D if they already pay for Creative Cloud.  It makes perfect sense and only makes sense to me to hire McGavran if C4D was secretly sold to Adobe.  In that case Adobe would demand one of their people to be the new CEO.  I'm not saying this guy will be horrible for C4D.  I'm just saying why poach someone from Adobe when there are people that could be CEO that love C4D.

18 hours ago, BoganTW said:

As for how it happened - my guess - McGavran, in charge of engineering for Adobe's video products, dealt with MAXON when Cineware was being implemented into After Effects.

It's a good theory.  I wonder if McGavran even knew of the existence of C4D before he became CEO.  If his day 1 letter said anything about his background with any 3D applications I'd feel better.

As another way to express my concern lets imagine how the day 1 letter would be different if someone passionate about C4D like 3DKiwi became CEO.

I could imagine it being something to the effect of, "I promise a huge improvements to Bodypaint.  There is also this and that tool that has been bugging me for some time.  I really hope I don't bankrupt the company hiring all the people to make all the improvements I want.  I've also heard all the things people have wanted for years.  I know what needs to be done."

• Haha 1

Let me reinforce what was already said. MAXON is not for sale. Nemetschek, as a parent company is certainly not stupid to sell something that is growing on yearly basis, it is simply not good business. If you have the time, do some research and you can find all the numbers since it is all publicly available information. Adobe is big company and if they want to build an DCC 3D app they can do it on their own :)

• Like 2