Igor

MAXON brings new CEO on board! New Future!!

4 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Let me reinforce what was already said. MAXON is not for sale. Nemetschek, as a parent company is certainly not stupid to sell something that is growing on yearly basis, it is simply not good business. If you have the time, do some research and you can find all the numbers since it is all publicly available information. Adobe is big company and if they want to build an DCC 3D app they can do it on their own :)

Modo was making good money and that didn't stop them from selling to Foundry.  Foundry is big enough where they could have made their own DCC 3D app as well.  Autodesk is super big and that didn't stop them from buying Softimage.  There is no way for us to know for sure if it was already sold or not without being in a very select group.  With enough money any company is for sale no matter how much profit is being made.  If it was bought by Adobe at least we can expect it to live on in some form and not be killed off like if it was bought by Autodesk.

Don't you think Adobe would have bought MAXON years ago if it wanted too? It was certainly valued less then. Sure, everything is possible, and any company can buy some other, but what is realistic is what matters. At current time MAXON is simply not for sale and I doubt it will be in future.

• Like 1

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Take a breath people.    Honestly, you can't buy or sell a major division of any publicly held company "secretly".  Too many financial arrangements need to be made at both companies for that to happen and it would all come out in their quarterly earnings reports or legal filings that would have needed to be made.  So it can't be done in secret. 

A better question to ask is why did Uwe Bärtels, Harald Egel and Harald Schneider retire now -- right on the cusp of probably the most significant release in MAXON's history?  Why not retire 6 months after it has been released?   They certainly deserve to take a bow after navigating a complex piece of software through a massive core re-write and still keep the company financially solvent and its user base somewhat intact.   For examples on how NOT to do it, just look at Lightwave (and I would submit that disagreements on the new core is what prompted the key founders to go start modo). 

This is by no means a trivial accomplishment.  In my opinion it was a huge, scary task and MAXON did it quite well.  I mean there were a few bumps along the way (like R17 - which despite its criticism still delivered the "takes" feature), but still it was done exceptionally well.

So after all that risk, after all that work....why not see the program through its R20 release, enjoy the praise, take a well deserved bow and then hand over the reigns to a new CEO?

Also, why do all 3 have to retire?  Honestly, getting 3 people to decide on a single place to eat is hard enough -- let alone getting all of them to agree to retire at the same time.    So things just don't add up which may be why we are all suspicious.

I think there is more to learn here.  I also think it involves something significant and is based on plans put in motion by Nemetschek and not MAXON.   I don't know what that is but it appears that they are positioning Dave McGavran  for success by bringing him in at this time and therefore positioning him to spring board off that success for whatever Nemetschek has planned next for MAXON.

Now, before we run off screaming "Conspiracy" with our hair on fire, consider this:  R20 and the new core MUST represent a significant opportunity for MAXON and Nemetsheck.  That is why Nemetschek is looking now to make whatever moves they have planned.  If they just wanted to unload the program, they would have done it years ago and before the significant investment in the new core.  But they didn't.  So now R20 is really starting to show its true colors and potential.  I would also submit that it is probably exceeding everyone's expectations and that is why you are seeing a regime change.  Bring in fresh new energy with extensive connections in the DCC market to seize the opportunity that comes with R20 and the new core.  Remember folks, Dave McGarvan is not just a software developer.  In his past role at Adobe he probably has spoken to every major customer of DCC software on the planet.  He has connections.

Get ready.  This story is not over yet.

Dave 

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

You need to consider release and development schedules. At this point, R20 is finished outside of bugfixing, development on R21 has already started. The next few months are for the manuals to be written, tutorials recorded and webpages crafted before release at the end of the year. So sure, they're leaving a few months before release, but in reality their work is done, at this point the rest of the work to do is a formality. Also keep in mind, although there is a handover deadline for when the new guy takes over, there has been and will continue to be a handover phase where the old guard are helping the new guy get settled.

As for why all three at once, well that's easy, there's one contract. Probably it's best to think of all three as a single act. If Penn and Teller are hired to do a job, should Penn or Teller leave, the contract is void and the venue probably doesn't want to have the show done by one half of a double act. This is something the 3 bosses have discussed and chosen to do.
  • Like 1

Matthew O'Neill - 3D Fluff - www.3dfluff.com

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Take a breath people.   

Dave 

Dave. I like your version. I think imashination has the three leaving thing sorted though.

Personally, I'm hanging loose until the R20 release. Just don't want to get myself wound up about it. I'm an optimistic realist or a realistic optimist or something.

I go to bed at night praying to the Great 3D God in the sky(Physical) that this next release is going to blow my socks off. I want to be super enthusiastic but the realist in me keeps dragging me back.

I do think R20 will be the business but how much of the business will it be? Lots I hope.

If in doubt, scream and shout.

So couple of things:  If all 3 of them signed a common contract then that contract would still have provisions on the process for any of them to independently separate themselves from that contract.   I can't imagine any of them would sign a contract that said "If one of you decide to separate yourself from this agreement, all 3 of you go!!!"   Honestly, would you sign onto something like that?  Probably not. 

Therefore, all 3 would still need to come to some agreement that now is the time to retire.  Retiring is a big decision and everyone has different financial considerations as well as plans for the retirement years.   Even if money or health care was not a factor, you still have to have to ask "Well, now what do I do to fill my day?".   I am 57 and have been thinking quite hard about retirement particularly as my day job becomes more demanding and the kids are moving out of the house.  These are not easy decisions to make as there are a huge number of things to consider. 

So again, for the 3 of them to make that decision to do it together is interesting.  Again, I ask why?  The reason for all 3 to go at the same time must be damn compelling.

Dave

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

So again, for the 3 of them to make that decision to do it together is interesting.  Again, I ask why?  The reason for all 3 to go at the same time must be damn compelling.

Well, they started it together and probably opted to step off together. They were on top for 30+ years - that can get you tired :)

To get McGavran, McGavran had to also want to do it as well. He already had a significant role at a software company. When they made their pitch to him, it would have included the big picture of R20 and everything coming together for C4D in a very positive manner. I’m guessing this was an attractive proposition. 

Again, I get the feeling MAXON have picked quite well with McGavran. It could be much worse, ask Xbox fans how they feel about Don Mattrick’s time as CEO of that company. Phil Spencer (the CEO now) is still trying to clear up the mess.

Harald, Uwe and Horry started the company together as friends and they are leaving the company together as friends, knowing that they achieved something unique and worthy. Since they were heavily involved in finding a successor they were able to make sure to put someone in this position who they think can not only maintain what they achieved but push it further. Nemetschek could have sold MAXON for a long time, they didn't and the current situation is the result of a decision to work closer together instead of separating. Dave was in a well established postion at Adobe, he choose to jump into much deeper water and in the few days i have been working with him here in the office i can say that i am very much looking forward to things to come.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, srek said:

Harald, Uwe and Horry started the company together as friends and they are leaving the company together as friends, knowing that they achieved something unique and worthy. Since they were heavily involved in finding a successor they were able to make sure to put someone in this position who they think can not only maintain what they achieved but push it further. Nemetschek could have sold MAXON for a long time, they didn't and the current situation is the result of a decision to work closer together instead of separating. Dave was in a well established postion at Adobe, he choose to jump into much deeper water and in the few days i have been working with him here in the office i can say that i am very much looking forward to things to come.

Srek,

Welcome back....you have been missed.   I know that defending the software in the face of some pretty unfair criticism at the Café is what led to your 3+ year hiatus, so I mark your return as yet another good sign of brighter days ahead.

Dave

Bjorn was also super busy and booked 100% during that long period since his expertise was very needed. Hope he will now find more time to participate in Cafe topics :)

4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Srek,

Welcome back....you have been missed.   I know that defending the software in the face of some pretty unfair criticism at the Café is what led to your 3+ year hiatus, so I mark your return as yet another good sign of brighter days ahead.

Dave

2 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Bjorn was also super busy and booked 100% during that long period since his expertise was very needed. Hope he will now find more time to participate in Cafe topics :)

And apparently something is wrong with him. He has grown a thicker skin!! But that is a good ailment!!

Welcome back Srek!!